Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:40
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 27, 2007

Dear all

A client of mine just informed me that as of now Trados 7.5 is required for jobs to come.
This is regular client, however if I am not mistaken I can translate files using Trados 6.5.5.441 Freelance in combination with MS Small Business 2003 (which works great) if they send me an export file of the TM in Trados 7.5. They can still edit, read etc the files translated in my older version in the newer version, or not?
I am a bit reluctant to upgrade to Trados 7.5 be
... See more
Dear all

A client of mine just informed me that as of now Trados 7.5 is required for jobs to come.
This is regular client, however if I am not mistaken I can translate files using Trados 6.5.5.441 Freelance in combination with MS Small Business 2003 (which works great) if they send me an export file of the TM in Trados 7.5. They can still edit, read etc the files translated in my older version in the newer version, or not?
I am a bit reluctant to upgrade to Trados 7.5 because I am perfectly happy with the software I am using at the moment (no bugs etc).
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Depends on their system Jul 27, 2007

Our agencies and freelancers need to have Trados version 7.1 and above, because we are working with SDL TeamWorks 2006 with the Word workflow via TagEditor. We get errors in TeamWorks whenever a text is translated by an earlier version...

Our DTP department will be eventually moving to InDesign CS3, which means that an upgrade of Trados and TeamWorks will be necessary... whenever compatibility with CS3 will be supported. And all agencies and freelancers will need to upgrade as well.
... See more
Our agencies and freelancers need to have Trados version 7.1 and above, because we are working with SDL TeamWorks 2006 with the Word workflow via TagEditor. We get errors in TeamWorks whenever a text is translated by an earlier version...

Our DTP department will be eventually moving to InDesign CS3, which means that an upgrade of Trados and TeamWorks will be necessary... whenever compatibility with CS3 will be supported. And all agencies and freelancers will need to upgrade as well.

I don't know your client, so I don't know the rationale behind this request for upgrading. But I just wanted to show you that sometimes it's not because the clients are being picky, it's because there are technical reasons behind it!
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Sometimes it's the other way round Jul 27, 2007

And the client wants and old version of Trados that I used several computers ago

I know one agency which edits TTX file headers to make the TTX format backward compatible.

Regards,

Piotr

[Edited at 2007-07-27 10:59]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:40
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Strangely... Jul 28, 2007

Most of my clients don't even want the "uncleaned" backup document or any other Trados-specific files. I mean, I expect that from the direct clients, but only about a third of the agencies seem to want it.

I'm not sure whether they're not using CAT software at all, or if they just align everything as it comes in.

[Edited at 2007-07-28 14:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why upgrade from Trados 6.5 to 7.5

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »