How to be sure not to have deleted tags???
Thread poster: Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:41
English to French
+ ...
Jan 27, 2003

I work regularly in formatted document \"WORD 2000\" for Framemaker. These files have numérous tags. I work with Trados and I copy source to target and then translate the english text into french.

Last time, my customer told me there were hundreds of \"modified\" or \"deleted\" tags. I was not aware of it and have not yet understood how it was possible.

I have a new text which is now translated and I was wondering if it was possible to \"verify\" the tags. I have compared th
... See more
I work regularly in formatted document \"WORD 2000\" for Framemaker. These files have numérous tags. I work with Trados and I copy source to target and then translate the english text into french.

Last time, my customer told me there were hundreds of \"modified\" or \"deleted\" tags. I was not aware of it and have not yet understood how it was possible.

I have a new text which is now translated and I was wondering if it was possible to \"verify\" the tags. I have compared the document but it does not work. Too many differences between source and target.

Working with Tageditor is not welcome with this customer.

Has anybody a solution?

Thanks a lot
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No solution ... Jan 27, 2003

... just a suggestion.

I am working with +Tools that has actually been created for Wordfast. (However, the tool is available for free and is working even if you do not own Wordfast.)

What it can do is to \"untag\" any of your HTML, XML, SGML document, that means, it hides and protects the tags. Once you have translated it, you can restore all your tags with it again. So, none of your tags gets lost in this process.

However, I have be
... See more
... just a suggestion.

I am working with +Tools that has actually been created for Wordfast. (However, the tool is available for free and is working even if you do not own Wordfast.)

What it can do is to \"untag\" any of your HTML, XML, SGML document, that means, it hides and protects the tags. Once you have translated it, you can restore all your tags with it again. So, none of your tags gets lost in this process.

However, I have been using this tool only with Wordfast and I do not know whether Trados recognizes the tags as hidden, too.

If you do not have any better options, try it and it might save you the time you need to check whether all tags are still existent.

You can download it for free at http://www.champollion.net

Kind regards,

Sonja

Collapse

Adriana Esposito
Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
S-Tag Verifier for Frame Maker Jan 27, 2003

If you have Trados 5.5, you\'ll find it under Trados 5.5. Freelance >Filters.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TRADOS has a TAG verification module Jan 27, 2003

but only, if you convert the original Framemaker file on your PC. Otherwise you are not able to verify TAGs. And TRADOS has no veryfying function in Word.

Wordfast indeed has a quality check function, and you should be able to work on such Framemaker export file with Wordfast.

The only way I know not to delete or omit TAGs is to advise TRADOS to copy source text on no match. Then you have all TAGs in place, when no match is detected. If TRADOS finds a match, you ma
... See more
but only, if you convert the original Framemaker file on your PC. Otherwise you are not able to verify TAGs. And TRADOS has no veryfying function in Word.

Wordfast indeed has a quality check function, and you should be able to work on such Framemaker export file with Wordfast.

The only way I know not to delete or omit TAGs is to advise TRADOS to copy source text on no match. Then you have all TAGs in place, when no match is detected. If TRADOS finds a match, you manually have to place the TAGs. If you set a percentuall deduction for placeables in match section of Trados, you will see the information, that placeables have changed. Then you just need to compare TAGs or better to copy all Tags from the source into a target segment.

But TAG vereyfying must then be run by your customer, if he had exported the text from Framemaker. And normally no one complies if there are some TAGs missing.

Jerzy
Collapse

Sabine Nay
Sabine Nay  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Use S-Tag Verifier for FrameMaker Jan 27, 2003

...to compare your tags (Trados 5)

Make sure you have two directories

- one for your source language file

- the second for your cleaned translated file.

(Do not rename your files)

Open S-Tag Verifier for FrameMaker.

Select the Paths tab.

In the first field, browse to your source language file

Select your source language file.

Then, browse to your trans
... See more
...to compare your tags (Trados 5)

Make sure you have two directories

- one for your source language file

- the second for your cleaned translated file.

(Do not rename your files)

Open S-Tag Verifier for FrameMaker.

Select the Paths tab.

In the first field, browse to your source language file

Select your source language file.

Then, browse to your translated file and select it.

Click on the Verify S-Tags tab.

Click on the Verify S-Tags button.

S-Tagger now verifies the tags in both files. If there are errors, it generates a log file you can use to correct missing tags.

(If you work with Trados 3 use S-Tagger for Framemaker to check your files.)

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-27 09:40]
Collapse

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot to all of you. . Jan 27, 2003

I am trying all solutions.

Have a nice day

Martine Etienne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to be sure not to have deleted tags???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »