Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Computer turns on automatically at 23:54
Thread poster: casey

casey
United States
Local time: 10:31
Japanese to English
Aug 13, 2007

My computer turns on by itself every night at 23:54 even after I have shut it down. Up until recently I have been up past that time, so I didn't notice it. I have no idea how long it has been doing this, so I uninstalled the latest software I had installed a few months ago (Google desktop), but that didn't stop it.

Where should I look to find out what is causing it to power on by itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Some interference in the power wiring? Aug 13, 2007

My old computer used to have antics, too - it turned itself on each time the (landline) phone was ringing (even with a surge suppressor). We first found that funny, but after a while it got annoying... we solved the problem with plugging it on a SS with a switch.
Of course it's only a suggestion (it could be a thousand other things) - but is there anything else in your house that starts at that moment, and could cause some interference?
Florence

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not that I can think of... Aug 13, 2007

I can't really think of anything else that would start at that time. The Internet connection is constantly plugged in, and I have read that signals from a router or modem could cause the computer to start, but I don't see how that could be the cause since it turns on at a specific time every night and stays off when I turn it off the second time.

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Another idea... Aug 13, 2007

casey wrote:

I can't really think of anything else that would start at that time. The Internet connection is constantly plugged in, and I have read that signals from a router or modem could cause the computer to start, but I don't see how that could be the cause since it turns on at a specific time every night and stays off when I turn it off the second time.

Is there a chance that your isp sends a signal to your router each day at the same time? For instance, does your ip change at 23:54?

In any case, and whatever the reason, you can get rid of the phenomenon by using a surge suppressor with a switch. When the switch is OFF, the computer won't start whatever happens.

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't know, but... Aug 13, 2007

Oddie wrote:

In any case, and whatever the reason, you can get rid of the phenomenon by using a surge suppressor with a switch. When the switch is OFF, the computer won't start whatever happens.

I actually have the computer connected to a surge protector already, so I suppose I could just flip the switch each night. Thanks for the tip.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to German
+ ...
Scheduled task Aug 13, 2007

Some people use this feature on purpose, e.g. to have their computers up and running by the time they enter their office in the morning. I once worked on-site at a client's office and it creeped me out when all of the sudden all the machines booted at the same time. I managed to turn off this function, but they used Macintoshs, I don't know how to do this with PCs.

This might help:

Go to the Help & Support Center of your PC, look up: "Scheduled Tasks" --> "Remove a scheduled task" and follow the step-by-step-procedure to turn this thing off.

How you managed to apply this function in the first place I can't tell. Did you schedule hard-disk scans and such?

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That was my first thought... Aug 13, 2007

...but there are no scheduled tasks...

United States
English to German
+ ...
More info Aug 13, 2007

Is it possible that you downloaded this utility with Google Desktop?

"Tip #36: Scheduled Boot Up From Stand By in Windows XP
Today's tip is on scheduling the boot up of your Windows XP machine. In order to accomplish this, you'll need to have a fairly recent machine with either ACPI or APM power management enabled in the BIOS. This should be the default for most machines unless you've specifically disabled it. If you find that this tip is not working for you, you may want to consult your motherboard's or PC's documentation to determine what power management options are available to you. Also, it is necessary that your PC be in Stand By or Hibernate mode to "boot" in this fashion.

To wake from Stand By automatically, we'll be using a free utility called, appropriately enough, WakeUpOnStandBy. This is a small utility which allows you to specify the time you'd like your machine to "Wake Up", as well as also giving you the option run an application immediately following the return from Stand By. WakeUpOnStandBy can be downloaded from here.

After you have downloaded the utility, launch the program and you'll be presented with a screen similar to the following:"

Read on:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:5u3iIIYNoQQJ:jameser.blogspot.com/2006/08/tip-36-scheduled-boot-up-from-stand-by.html%20scheduled%20boot&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not intentionally, if I did Aug 13, 2007

I have since removed Google desktop completely, but the computer still boots up every night. I never set a time or was prompted to. I also am not putting the computer into standby or hybernate mode, either. I am completely shutting it down.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Oh my. Aug 13, 2007

I hope your computer isn't dealing with a virus or worm.

Does the automatic boot happen even when your PC is entirely offline?
Pull the plug of your modem or router over night for a test.

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Aug 13, 2007

Good idea. I'll unplug the router tonight to see.

Pablo Cañamares  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:31
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Now... Aug 13, 2007

Ehm... Anyone thought the possibility of that being a poltergeist?
It sounds to me like one.

Try this site, they might offer some tip

http://www.ghostbusters.com

I've heard they're very proffesional and reliable.

casey
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well.... Aug 13, 2007

Pablo Cañamares wrote:

Ehm... Anyone thought the possibility of that being a poltergeist?
It sounds to me like one.

Try this site, they might offer some tip

http://www.ghostbusters.com

I've heard they're very proffesional and reliable.

It is always accompanied by a sudden drop in room temperature, but I thought it was just a coincidence...

United States
English to German
+ ...
Well, now that you mention it.. Aug 13, 2007

I thought about exorcism, but I didn't want to reveal Casey's real problem (yet):

It seems to be a common problem. Read this:

"SAVANNAH, Ga. -- Your computer may be possessed by a demon, a leading minister warns. "While the Computer Age has ushered in many advances, it has also opened yet another door through which Lucifer and his minions can enter and corrupt men's souls," said the Reverend Jim Peasboro, author of an upcoming book, The Devil in the Machine. Demons are able to possess anything with a brain, from a chicken to a human being. And today's thinking machines have enough space on their hard drives to accommodate Satan or his pals. "Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit," the minister confirmed.

(To read on, please check the link provided below.)

Also:

Ghost of Kurt Cobain Haunted Laptop Computer
[Original headline: Computer Exorcism Nixes Cobain Ghost, Software Too ]

A 24-year-old bar manager from Essex, England has finally dealt with the Kurt Cobain ghost that appeared on her Compaq laptop, the Register reports. Only now it won't boot up!

The trouble began when "Kurt manifested himself on her screen and demanded she 'give us a kiss, love.'" The funny thing is that the manifestation only occurred after turning her laptop off. In any case, the sightings unnerved the owner, who says, "I'm not a spiritual person...I had to do something."

The answer was a computer exorcism, performed by unspecified parties. Kurt no longer appears on the Compaq's screen and neither does anything else. The Register says that her machine has refused to run since the exorcism and blamed excess holy water.. ."

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:elOJ5VGTXhgJ:www.cyberexorcism.com/conspiracy.html%20computer%20exorcist&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Does it... Aug 13, 2007

...make coffee too?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer turns on automatically at 23:54

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs