Mobile menu

How to check emails sent to an old email address?
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

A client (nice but a bit disorganised) swears he sent me a large urgent job last week which I never received and knew nothing about. This caused a panic and some recriminations. As he recently sent me a cheque for earlier work to an address I left over 5 1/2 years ago, I'm wondering if he also inadvertently sent the job to an old email address. Mainly for my own satisfaction, I'd like to find out (I suggested he might have done so, since when he has fallen silent on the subject). Is it possible to check whether my old email address received the allegedly sent job?
I'd be grateful for any advice - I'm sure I should know how to do this, but I don't.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Direct link Reply with quote

Véronique L.  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:24
English to French
+ ...
set up this account on outlook/thunderbird... Aug 27, 2007

Hello Jenny,

I am about to change my professional email address and, although this should be a smooth process, I am sure there will always be a client or two that will still use my old email address by mistake. Also, I do not want to miss any opportunity because I have used my old email address on my business cards.

Therefore, I have decided to set up both accounts on Mozilla Thunderbird to keep track of emails that will be sent on both email addresses.

It may be something you should consider (especially if it's not the only disorganised client you have)

HIH!

Véronique

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hi Jenny, Aug 27, 2007

It's only possible if your old email account is still open and your inbox isn't already full. If it's still open you should be able to reset the password so long as you still have the username.

If, on the other hand, your old account is no longer open, any mail sent to it would be returned to the sender with an automated message saying something along the lines of "your message could not be delivered - no such username exists on this server" (I can't remember the exact phrasing).

You could always try sending an email to your old inbox to see whether you receive a "could not deliver" message. If not, your old email is probably still active.

Best of luck!

Ivana

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:24
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Email Notification Aug 27, 2007

Hi Jenny,
As has been said by Ivana, you should have an active email account. Indeed, I have had a similar experience. One of my good clients offered a big translation order to my old email address. Because I rarely open the old email, the offer was two-week overdue when I read it.
After thinking hard for a few minutes, I found the email notification feature in the old email account. Then, I activated the feature in order that any time a new email arrives, it will be automatically notified to my new email account. By doing so, I will not miss any translation orders from my old clients.

Best Regards

Hipyan

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Go onto the server itself. Aug 27, 2007

You should be able to go onto the website of your old provider and enter your email from there Jenny. (which reminds me .... I need to do the same)

And, of course, even if he sent you the job at all, he can't simply accept you're around or available to do it anyway without confirmation, so don't worry too much - but I know the feeling, it's not nice when something like this happens.

The rest of the week will be better

[Edited at 2007-08-27 10:14]

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:24
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Sometimes this helps.. Aug 27, 2007

Hi Jenny,

Well, if your old e-mail address is still operative and you remember the password (too many 'if's?), you might want to try http://www.mail2web.com/

I use it sometimes while on trips, when my Blackberry decides it has already accepted more than its fair share of messages for the day...

Good luck!
Cintia.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ivana, and everyone. Aug 28, 2007

Ivana Micheli wrote:

It's only possible if your old email account is still open and your inbox isn't already full. If it's still open you should be able to reset the password so long as you still have the username.

If, on the other hand, your old account is no longer open, any mail sent to it would be returned to the sender with an automated message saying something along the lines of "your message could not be delivered - no such username exists on this server" (I can't remember the exact phrasing).

You could always try sending an email to your old inbox to see whether you receive a "could not deliver" message. If not, your old email is probably still active.

Best of luck!

Ivana

Thank you, Ivana. I tried sending myself an email to my old address and it didn't bounce back so I guess the address is still active. However, in spite of trying the various other kind suggestions of Prozies, I haven't yet been able to find what's in it. I've emailed for help from Orange and await their response, if any.
Thank you, everyone.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to check emails sent to an old email address?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs