Help!! XML Files
Thread poster: Annie Doran

Annie Doran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to French
Sep 14, 2007

I have to translate an XML file through Notepad and my client doesnt seem to understand my question...

I want to know if I should also incorporate the same HTML code inside my translationor just simply write what it is to translate and they will figure out where to put their HTML?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Annie

[Edited at 2007-09-15 05:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NotePad2 Sep 14, 2007

Hi Annie,

I think it will be easier for you if you download (freely) NotePad2, you can google it up. I can be downloaded from different sites.
I used it one with PHP files.
If you open the XML file with this software, you´ll see the different HTML codes in colors, and the text, which should be translated, in black.
You can, then, replace the black text with your translation and keep all the coding as it is.
Hope this helps
Regards,
Marina

Annie Doran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 14, 2007

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi Annie,

I think it will be easier for you if you download (freely) NotePad2, you can google it up. I can be downloaded from different sites.
I used it one with PHP files.
If you open the XML file with this software, you´ll see the different HTML codes in colors, and the text, which should be translated, in black.
You can, then, replace the black text with your translation and keep all the coding as it is.
Hope this helps
Regards,
Marina

Thank you so much Marina, you helped me a ton!!!

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:53
English to Turkish
Moved the topic... Sep 15, 2007

...to General Technical Issues. Off topic forum is for topics off translation, as the name suggests

However, Annie, it looks to me like you are posting texts from a translation assignment. May I suggest that you reconsider this from the viewpoint of confidentiality with your client?

Best regards,
Özden

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Many computers ago in a distant galaxy... Sep 15, 2007

I used to translate tagged files manually (in a text editor), but you always run the risk of damaging the tags and your client's file will not look as expected, and someone will have to fix it.

In a CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tool, such as Heartsome XLIFF Editor, tags will be protected, AND you will have a tanslation memory (a database of chunks of text paired with their translations) for future leverage in similar projects.

My 0.03

Piotr

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
DONT use notepad on XML files.... Sep 15, 2007

here's the "first knee-jerk reaction" URL - the xmlPAD

http://www.zdnet.de/downloads/prg/5/1/en10252051-wc.html

and of course using heartsome software is the way to translate

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Trados Sep 15, 2007

Yes, I know that a lot of people do not like Trados, but if you have Trados then you can translated XML files using the TagEditor. Note that you still have to be careful, unless you have a DTD provided by the customer there may be some tags left "dangling", and you risk corrupting them.

An interesting article related to the translation of XML documents can be found at http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/01/07/xmltm.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!! XML Files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs