Thread poster: Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2007

From an FTP newbie: I have to download a movie sample from the client's FTP server and could not connect via the link they sent me. So I found an FTP program, Core FTP, and is it working... very slowly. About 1 hr 1/2 to download approx. 86MB. Is there a way to speed up this download, and how?
I have looked through the forums and it seems everyone is much more advanced than I on this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Faster FTP Sep 18, 2007

Emilie Fahlenkamp wrote:
So I found an FTP program, Core FTP, and is it working... very slowly. About 1 hr 1/2 to download approx. 86MB. Is there a way to speed up this download, and how?

If I can download 86 MB in two hours, I'd be very pleased. But this is here and you are there, so I guess you might want it even faster.

The speed of FTP does not depend on the FTP program itself. But you can try to use a downloader like FlashGet that attempts to download the file in multiple streams.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
Danish to English
+ ...
FTP Sep 18, 2007

I recommend you contact you client and explain that you are having difficulty connecting to the client's FTP. Ask for assistance.

You don't need to have an FTP program. Their FTP program, when you get access to it, will do the work for you, usually in the form of either zip files or pdf.

Then when the program asks whether you want to open or save the file, I recommend you save the file where you
... See more
I recommend you contact you client and explain that you are having difficulty connecting to the client's FTP. Ask for assistance.

You don't need to have an FTP program. Their FTP program, when you get access to it, will do the work for you, usually in the form of either zip files or pdf.

Then when the program asks whether you want to open or save the file, I recommend you save the file where you want to save it on your PC, and then you are in charge as to where that download should be stored. If you choose to open the file from your client's FTP then you MUST store the file somewhere in your PC or you might loose the download.

But, again, your client can help you get on to their FTP. You will probably be given a sign-on name and password and instructions for use.

[Edited at 2007-09-18 20:38]

[Edited at 2007-09-18 20:39]
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
Speed not a function of the application Sep 19, 2007

About 1 hr 1/2 to download approx. 86MB. Is there a way to speed up this download, and how?

Other than techniques using multiple streams per Samuel Murray, your speed will be a function of the slowest link in the chain -- their server, the internet, your modem, your computer, etc. But FTP applications are good at grabbing data as fast as possible. There are also some fast custom tools, but they must be installed on both ends.

86 megs in 90 minutes is 0.96 Mbytes a minute or 0.13 Mbits a second, which is very slow. I would guess that their FTP server is a slow device -- it could even be some old computer under someone's desk.

I would use one of those services that tests your personal throughput; we have www.dslreports.com in the US. If you find your speed is on par with what you pay for from your provider, the problem is not with your system or your FTP program.

Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
download by ftp, thanks for replies. Sep 21, 2007

Thanks, everyone, for your replies; I simply didn't know enough about the topic at the time. I have checked my connection and computer, and have asked the client to look into ways to improve the process at their end. I will also make sure to store the downloads somewhere in addition their server to prevent data loss; thanks for that excellent tip!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Download by FTP too slow

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »