New external hard drive
Thread poster: telefpro
telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 20:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2007

I have just bought an external hard drive of 80 GB. What precautions should I take for good performance?
I have been using a pendrive quite succesfully and it has been a great help. In what way can I benefit from an external drive?

[Edited at 2007-09-30 09:22]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
bigger, less portable Oct 2, 2007

compared to usb flash drive, external hard disk has bigger capacity. but on the other hand, it is less portable than a usb flash drive due to its size.
as for maintenance, as with other drive, it would be defragmenting the drive.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:59
English to Swedish
+ ...
Create a backup schedule Oct 2, 2007

Hi telefpro,

You should definitely use the disk to set up a backup schedule!

If there was no backup software bundled with your drive, Windows has a basic scheduler that works with most external drives.
The scheduler is usually not installed during a standard installation, but is available on your Windows CD as an ext
... See more
Hi telefpro,

You should definitely use the disk to set up a backup schedule!

If there was no backup software bundled with your drive, Windows has a basic scheduler that works with most external drives.
The scheduler is usually not installed during a standard installation, but is available on your Windows CD as an extra feature.
Read more here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Good luck,

Jan
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
Not necessarily less portable Oct 2, 2007

Hi Mulyadi,

Not necessarily less portable - I now have a WD Passport (120 Go ... fine for backing up all of my work) programmed for automatic backup every evening and it's about the size of a large business card. Extremely portable. Pleased with it so far.

K

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New external hard drive

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »