Mobile menu

New external hard drive
Thread poster: telefpro

Local time: 17:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2007

I have just bought an external hard drive of 80 GB. What precautions should I take for good performance?
I have been using a pendrive quite succesfully and it has been a great help. In what way can I benefit from an external drive?

[Edited at 2007-09-30 09:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
English to Indonesian
+ ...
bigger, less portable Oct 2, 2007

compared to usb flash drive, external hard disk has bigger capacity. but on the other hand, it is less portable than a usb flash drive due to its size.
as for maintenance, as with other drive, it would be defragmenting the drive.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
Create a backup schedule Oct 2, 2007

Hi telefpro,

You should definitely use the disk to set up a backup schedule!

If there was no backup software bundled with your drive, Windows has a basic scheduler that works with most external drives.
The scheduler is usually not installed during a standard installation, but is available on your Windows CD as an extra feature.
Read more here:

Good luck,

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
French to English
Not necessarily less portable Oct 2, 2007

Hi Mulyadi,

Not necessarily less portable - I now have a WD Passport (120 Go ... fine for backing up all of my work) programmed for automatic backup every evening and it's about the size of a large business card. Extremely portable. Pleased with it so far.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New external hard drive

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs