Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2007

So far, I have kept my cables and leads in a large plastic box in a corner of my office, but as the number of electronic devices in my office increases, the number of chargers and adaptors in my box has now become so big that I need a labelling and tangle-free storage system. Any tips, anyone?

Direct link Reply with quote

franksf
Chinese to English
Universal power adaptor Oct 1, 2007

As far as power supplies are concerned, there are universal adaptors for sale.

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Simple? Oct 1, 2007

Stick a piece of masking tape around the cable close to the "equipment plug" end (not the electric outlet end) and write with a permanent marker the name of the thing it goes with (e.g. "Jimmy's Nokia mobile").

I usually fold my cables in loops (ca. 30-40 cm diameter) and keep the loops together using wire or plastic twist ties.

I also keep different cables in different places - my audio cables are separate from my computer cables etc.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Do you mean the cables that are not in use? Oct 1, 2007

I have something like this on the wall http://www.zzounds.com/item--MIDCLAW except that the claws are in tracking and can be adjusted sideways to accommodate different sizes of plug.

Hardware store, electrical store, Computer World? Sorry, I can't remember. All I remember is they call them cable tidies in the U.K.

HTH
Chris

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to English
Not an answer but a cautionary tale Oct 1, 2007

I inadvertently destroyed my external hard drive by plugging into it the power supply belonging to my laptop - the two cables look virtually identical and I made the foolish assumption that they were interchangeable, which they clearly aren't. So I am now a fervent advocate of labels!

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:29
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
ziplock zipper bags Oct 1, 2007

I use sticky labels on the lead/plug and put each in separate labelled ziplock zipper bag (with the sliding thingy on the top, not the press kind). This stops cables getting tangled and I can find what I want nice and quickly. The ziplock bags stay flat and stack easily.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the useful tips Oct 1, 2007

These are all very useful ideas. I will use some labels and ziplock zipper bags until I can find a cable tidy for the spaghetti-like pile in my cable box. Drastic action is needed.

Armorel, your story is a cautionary tale and may well explain why my son's external hard drive ceased working after a games weekend at a friend's house. Anyway, that's a different subject (already raised under a different heading).

Many thanks, everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Storing electric cables and leads

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs