https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/8690-wordfast_can_anyone_tell_me_about_it.html

Wordfast - can anyone tell me about it?
Thread poster: Arcadio García de León
Arcadio García de León
Arcadio García de León
Spain
Local time: 16:18
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2003

Has anyone worked with wordfast? How does it work? Is it just a Word software which generates a translation memory? Can I just download it? Thank you!

Rubén de la Fuente
Rubén de la Fuente  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
yeps Feb 18, 2003

Wordfast is a CAT tool you can download at www.champollion.net The license costs 180 €, which is not so bad considering the benefits included. It works with Microsoft Word and it\'s pretty easy to use.

AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast is good Feb 18, 2003

Hello,

Wordfast is a CAT tool which, as you said, generates a translation memory as you translate. You can also import external TM, consult glossaries,...

It works inside word, you can translate easily Excell files and does pretty well translating pdf files (although part of the editing is lost).

In the past you could download it for free but now you have to pay a fee (if I remember well 120 euro, but it depends were you live).
... See more
Hello,

Wordfast is a CAT tool which, as you said, generates a translation memory as you translate. You can also import external TM, consult glossaries,...

It works inside word, you can translate easily Excell files and does pretty well translating pdf files (although part of the editing is lost).

In the past you could download it for free but now you have to pay a fee (if I remember well 120 euro, but it depends were you live).

There is a Wordfast mailing list if you need any help/info while using the software.

Check it out: http://www.champollion.net

See also CAT tool center at ProZ

Regards

Ann
Collapse

Wayne Sutton (X)
Wayne Sutton (X)
French to English
A bit "techie" but worth the effort Feb 18, 2003

I have been using it for the last couple of weeks and although I haven\'t tested all the functions the main ones seem to work fine. You need to invest a bit of time with the manual and follow the instructions carefully but it is a small price to pay for the flexibility you get. I particularly like the fact that it is open software and compatible with similar tools and easily linked into glossaries, dictionaries etc.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My opinion Feb 18, 2003

Hi there,

I have been using Wordfast as first and only CAT tool so far.

I have worked with Trados Demo version, and have removed it from my computer just recently.

Unlike Trados, Wordfast is quite small, and you need Word to run it. However, you are not restricted to Word files. Wordfast is capable of translating Excel, PowerPoint, Access and HTML/SGML/XML files (in combination with +Tools, which is freeware), too.

Furthe
... See more
Hi there,

I have been using Wordfast as first and only CAT tool so far.

I have worked with Trados Demo version, and have removed it from my computer just recently.

Unlike Trados, Wordfast is quite small, and you need Word to run it. However, you are not restricted to Word files. Wordfast is capable of translating Excel, PowerPoint, Access and HTML/SGML/XML files (in combination with +Tools, which is freeware), too.

Further information and a free trial version, that is limited in TM size, can be downloaded at

www.champollion.net

Regards,

Sonja ;I

Collapse

Arcadio García de León
Arcadio García de León
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your replies! Feb 19, 2003

The question now is: why is Trados still being used?

It is more difficult to use, more expensive, bigger file size etc.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast - can anyone tell me about it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »