ProZ.com term search - how to do multiword searches?
Thread poster: Klaus Urban

Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:00
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

What happened to the term search? Until recently, in order to search for a two or more word term, I had to put this term in inverted commas in order to get search results for the multiword term instead of (many more) search results for each single word of the term. Since a couple of days, this does not work any more. Although I put my multiword term in inverted commas, I get all the search results for each single word of the term. Did I miss an important announcement?

Klaus

Direct link Reply with quote

Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Member (2005)
Latin to English
+ ...
Suggested solution Jan 15, 2008

I'm not an administrator so I can't answer your question about any change in policy, but there is an easy fix for you: under the box where you enter your term there is a box marked "match exact phrase". You should click on this. Of course you should use your imagination here to avoid too limited a search. for example if you enter your phrase in the plural and don't find an answer, try it again cast in the singular, or vice versa, or omitting seemingly superflous words in the phrase.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-01-15 16:55]

[Edited at 2008-01-15 16:56]

Michaela Sommer  Identity Verified
English to German
"match exact phrase" function Jan 15, 2008

Hi Klaus,

I never use inverted commas to search for a term consisting of more than one word (as you do in Google), but tick the option "match exact phrase". Works fine for me!

HTH

Michaela

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thomas and Michaela Jan 15, 2008

Thank you for responding to my request.
Certainly, I used this tool, but get the single words results nevertheless!
I have been searching term for nearly 3 years now, not using inverted commas. Then, some months ago, I realized a change and tried with inverted commas and it worked. But now?
Best regards
Klaus

Andrew
United States
English
Could you give me an example of your search phrase? Jan 15, 2008

Hello Klaus,

There was a recent update to ProZ.com term search that I described here - http://www.proz.com/topic/93790

If you could show me the exact input you would use as your search phrase I can investigate this new behaviour and make some adjustments.

Regards,
Andrew

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Andrew Jan 15, 2008

Thank you for this link which helped me find the solution to my problem.

Obviously, there are 2 options how to search for multiple word terms:

either:
with inverted commas without "Match exact phase"

or
without inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"

I mixed up both options,
with inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"
what resulted in what I described above.

Thank you all for your help!

Best regards

Klaus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com term search - how to do multiword searches?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums