https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/94637-cubic_metres_square_kilometres_etc.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Cubic metres, square kilometres, etc.
Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 19, 2008

I use Word 2000, edition 2. Does anyone know if I can make my own symbol for things like cubic metres, square kilometres, etc.? I have put the superscript and subscript signs in my Word toolbar and they work perfectly - i.e. I type m3 or km2 and then highlight the number and click on "superscript" in the toolbar and the number hops up as a little superscript number, but it's tedious to have to keep repeating those manoeuvres. Is there some way I can add the completed symbol to "Symbols", or s... See more
I use Word 2000, edition 2. Does anyone know if I can make my own symbol for things like cubic metres, square kilometres, etc.? I have put the superscript and subscript signs in my Word toolbar and they work perfectly - i.e. I type m3 or km2 and then highlight the number and click on "superscript" in the toolbar and the number hops up as a little superscript number, but it's tedious to have to keep repeating those manoeuvres. Is there some way I can add the completed symbol to "Symbols", or something like that? I've tried to do it using "Autocorrect", but the program won't allow superscripts.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Jenny.
Collapse

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 04:09
Dutch to English
Macros Jan 19, 2008

Hi. I think a macro would work. Sadly, I don't use macros because I've never taken the time to learn how to make one.

Parpalhol
Parpalhol  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Use specific characters Jan 19, 2008

Dear Jenny,

Instead of repeating the same formating procedure for 2 and 3, you can use specific characters:

ASCII code for ²: ALT + 0178
ASCII code for ³: ALT + 0179

On French AZERTY keybords, we already have ².

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Nina Rose (X)
Nina Rose (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
keyboard commands Jan 19, 2008

In my word 2003 version, "superscript" is assigned to the keyboard command
Ctrl+ +
So then you can e.g. type km [Ctrl+ +] 2 or 3 [Ctrl+ +] and the rest of your text.
(The first time to turn on "superscript" and the second time to turn it of)

You can of course assign it to the keyboard command of your choice.
I find keyboard commands very useful, and I use them a lot.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Symbols for upper-case 2 and 3 Jan 19, 2008

Taking Parpalhol's idea one stage further, I found my fonts include Lucida Console, in which upper-case symbols equivalent to Alt+0178 and Alt+0179 are included. I created shortcut keys for these (I used Ctrl+" and Ctrl+£), so now I can type m followed by either of these shortcuts to produce the sq.m. and cu.m. symbols you want. This way, you don't have to use Ctrl and plus to set superscript and then again to come down out of it, so it does make it a bit simpler. Thank you for bringing up t... See more
Taking Parpalhol's idea one stage further, I found my fonts include Lucida Console, in which upper-case symbols equivalent to Alt+0178 and Alt+0179 are included. I created shortcut keys for these (I used Ctrl+" and Ctrl+£), so now I can type m followed by either of these shortcuts to produce the sq.m. and cu.m. symbols you want. This way, you don't have to use Ctrl and plus to set superscript and then again to come down out of it, so it does make it a bit simpler. Thank you for bringing up the subject, it will make life easier for me from now on!

I think Lucida Console is a standard font which comes with Word, but if you don't have it and want to use this idea, email me through my profile and I'll send it to you.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Symbols for upper-case 2 and 3 Jan 19, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Taking Parpalhol's idea one stage further, I found my fonts include Lucida Console, in which upper-case symbols equivalent to Alt+0178 and Alt+0179 are included.

Bear in mind that the symbols for superscript 2 and 3 are not necessarily typographically the same as applying superscript formatting to 2 and 3, even in the same font. This may or may not be relevant in a given situation.

Marc

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Degrees - Celcius, Fahrenheit Jan 19, 2008

Slightly off topic maybe, but how do you write the 'degree'-sign with Celcius and/or Fahrenheit? I use O+superscript sometimes, but I'm sure there must be a better way...

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Using Autocorrect Jan 19, 2008

I've tried to do it using "Autocorrect", but the program won't allow superscripts.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

It can be done using Autocorrect in Word XP. For example:

Type the number 1, then format it as superscript as you would normally.
Highlight your superscript "1", then select Tools > Autocorrect and enter sup1 in the Replace field of the dialog. Your superscript "1" is automatically entered in the (replace) With field. Make sure "Formatted text" is selected. Click Add and OK. (Command names in the Engish version of Word may differ slightly - I'm guessing.)

The trick is to create and format your replacement text before you enter Autocorrect, otherwise you can't select "Formatted text".

With Autocorrect enabled, this will automatically replace "sup1" with a superscript "1". Repeat the process with numbers through to 0 and any other characters/symbols you may wish to place in superscript.

Whether this works in Word 2000, I don't know. I also don't know whether it's the best solution, just that it can be done (in Word XP, at least).

Marc

Nina Rose (X)
Nina Rose (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Degree Jan 19, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Slightly off topic maybe, but how do you write the 'degree'-sign with Celcius and/or Fahrenheit? I use O+superscript sometimes, but I'm sure there must be a better way...

In Word, the degree sign has the keyboard command
Alt+Ctrl+2 (and then) space

Find and mark it in your Symbol list, and you will see what keyboard command it has. If it doesn't have any, you can assign one.
You can do that with all the symbols.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Jan 19, 2008

nbrataas wrote:

Margreet Logmans wrote:

In Word, the degree sign has the keyboard command
Alt+Ctrl+2 (and then) space

Find and mark it in your Symbol list, and you will see what keyboard command it has. If it doesn't have any, you can assign one.
You can do that with all the symbols.

I'll try it in my next text, thanks a lot!

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Alt 504 Jan 19, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Hullo Margreet,
I use Alt 504 to get the degree sign - e.g. 20°C - I wish it was that temperature now! Still, I bet it's colder in the Netherlands.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Wondrous! Jan 19, 2008

Parpalhol wrote:

Dear Jenny,

Instead of repeating the same formating procedure for 2 and 3, you can use specific characters:

ASCII code for ²: ALT + 0178
ASCII code for ³: ALT + 0179

On French AZERTY keybords, we already have ².

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Thank you, Jean-Michel - that works a treat!
And thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Lucida Sans Unicode is better Jan 19, 2008

In view of what Marc said, I checked out the other Lucida font, Lucida Sans Unicode, and found that the upper-case 2 and 3 symbols included in that are much more like upper-case 2 and 3 in Verdana, which is my usual font, than those in Lucida Console, so Lucida Sans Unicode is the one I now recommend for my method.

Roberto Tokuda
Roberto Tokuda  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Search and replace Jan 19, 2008

I use a sort of unique combination to mark that symbols.

for example km!_2, mm!_3, etc.

At finish the whole document, I simply do "search and replace" this combination for a proper symbol.

(be sure to use >more>format>font>superscript into the "search and replace" window dialog box).

Regards
Roberto

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
German to English
Thanks, everyone! Jan 20, 2008

This is all very useful. I just translated a document where I had to use superscript and subscript a lot and was wondering about exactly what's being discussed in this forum.

Best regards,
Niraja

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cubic metres, square kilometres, etc.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »