https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/96698-email_messages_very_slow_in_arriving_from_one_client_only.html

Email messages very slow in arriving from one client only
Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 10, 2008

I have one UK agency client (a very good one) whose emails (containing jobs) are often extremely slow to arrive. The PM phones me to say the job (urgent) has been sent, but it sometimes takes several hours before I actually receive it in my email. I don't have this problem with anyone else - files arrive shortly after they have been sent. My (very good) client takes the attitude that there must be something wrong at my end. I don't think there is, don't know why this happens, and don't know ... See more
I have one UK agency client (a very good one) whose emails (containing jobs) are often extremely slow to arrive. The PM phones me to say the job (urgent) has been sent, but it sometimes takes several hours before I actually receive it in my email. I don't have this problem with anyone else - files arrive shortly after they have been sent. My (very good) client takes the attitude that there must be something wrong at my end. I don't think there is, don't know why this happens, and don't know if there's anything I can do about it. I'm on Broadband so my line is open all the time as long as the computer is running.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Jenny
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get a Gmail account Feb 10, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:
My (very good) client takes the attitude that there must be something wrong at my end. I don't think there is, don't know why this happens, and don't know if there's anything I can do about it.

There could possible be a problem at either end (your end included).

My suggestion is to explain to that client that you don't have a problem with any other client's e-mails, and that you suspect that your domain may have a low priority for receiving mail from her service provider's mail server. And... in the light of this, would she mind using your Gmail address instead.

Then get a Gmail address, and install Googletalk on your computer. If there is mail, the Googletalk systray icon will change.

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
Same problem Feb 10, 2008

I have the same problem with an agency here, and we ended up switching to Skype for file transfers....no lost or delayed files yet!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
FTP Feb 11, 2008

Hi Jenny,

you can also ask for permanent access (using an access code) to (part of) their FTP-server. If they have anything for you, they can make a call to notify you and you can download the files directly.

Regards,
Margreet

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, everyone Feb 11, 2008

Thank you, all, for your helpful ideas. I've asked the client to investigate the problem and will suggest the various solutions you've offered. Direct access to part of their FTP-server sounds the best one, I think.
Kind regards
Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email messages very slow in arriving from one client only

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »