japanese .pdf2word tools
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 09:37
English to German
+ ...
Feb 22, 2008

Hi! One of my customers is facing trouble with japanese page scans converted into .pdfs nad I have checked all tools I have including abby, but I could not find the language module for abby. Is there any other specific pdf2word converter that supports japanese. I shall appreciate all help . Brandis

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Usually Solid Converter works fine Feb 22, 2008

Hi Brandis,

...but only, if the original Japanese word-file was converted into a pdf-file and you would just like to have it converted backwards into a text file. Then Solid Converter is really nice, even for Japanese fonts.

In case the Japanese text was only scanned into a (e.g.) tif-file you cannot convert it into a word-file because it is a "sealed pic-file" but converting this into a pdf should work with any average pdf creator (I use Adobe and Solid Converter).
... See more
Hi Brandis,

...but only, if the original Japanese word-file was converted into a pdf-file and you would just like to have it converted backwards into a text file. Then Solid Converter is really nice, even for Japanese fonts.

In case the Japanese text was only scanned into a (e.g.) tif-file you cannot convert it into a word-file because it is a "sealed pic-file" but converting this into a pdf should work with any average pdf creator (I use Adobe and Solid Converter).

Regards,

Katrin

P.S.: As far as I know Abby does not support Japanese.
"Yonde Koko!" is supposed to be a good Japanese OCR-SW.
However, I haven't bought it yet due to lack of time. First of all I will check another tool before buying this.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-02-22 10:56]
Collapse

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:37
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Yasashiku PDF OCR Feb 22, 2008

As Katrin said, Yonde Koko is quite good, but it's rather expensive. I have tried the demo, and it works quite well. The one I own is Yasashiku PDF OCR. It has less features, but it is quite good as well. And a lot cheaper.
I recommend going for a software specially made to handle Japanese rather than trying to install a module on a program based on western languages.

Regards

Juan Luis.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 23, 2008

I am still trying. Now I have downloaded solid converter 3.1 but it keeps permanently crashing. This other japanese tool I could not try, because I do not speak japanese. I would not even know whether there is a trial link on any site. So still experimenting. Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solid converter did not work... Feb 23, 2008

Katrin Hollberg wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Regards,

Katrin

P.S.: As far as I know Abby does not support Japanese.
"Yonde Koko!" is supposed to be a good Japanese OCR-SW.
However, I haven't bought it yet due to lack of time. First of all I will check another tool before buying this.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-02-22 10:56]
I guess for several reasons, the primary file was a direct scan from a book. I have tried now iris product with asian plug-in the it gives about 60% correct output. The customer was not experienced enough and stores the source scan as .bitmap file, other formats are much better and lighter. Let us see, if he still wishes to have a fully done ocr and copy edited file back. That can truly cost some energy. Solid converter had given the file back in a word format but it is not editable. I shall keep you posted about this experiment Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

japanese .pdf2word tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »