Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2008

I am translating terms and conditions of an accidence insurance. One section is about term definitions in alphabetical order. The translated terms are no longer in alphabetical order, e. g.

English order:
annual salary, claim, coma, company, dependent child

resulting order in German :
Jahresgehalt, Antrag, Koma, Unternehmen, sorgeberechtigtes Kind

Is there a general practice how to treat such a situation, i. e. should I leave it this way or shou
... See more
I am translating terms and conditions of an accidence insurance. One section is about term definitions in alphabetical order. The translated terms are no longer in alphabetical order, e. g.

English order:
annual salary, claim, coma, company, dependent child

resulting order in German :
Jahresgehalt, Antrag, Koma, Unternehmen, sorgeberechtigtes Kind

Is there a general practice how to treat such a situation, i. e. should I leave it this way or should I bring the German terms in a new alphabetical order or need I contact the client in order to find out how she wants to have it done?

Thank you for your support.

Best regards

Klaus
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
costs not much to order it both ways Feb 24, 2008

...should I leave it this way or should I bring the German terms in a new alphabetical order or need I contact the client in order to find out how she wants to have it done?

... and surprise the client by offering the extra mileage in the checking mail. My 2c.

Regards

Vito

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you would use a table Feb 24, 2008

even simple table in word than at any moment you could arrange this terms in alphabetical order, should it be required.

Kind regards
Stanislaw

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I would wait Feb 24, 2008

Klaus Urban wrote:
Is there a general practice how to treat such a situation, i. e. should I leave it this way or should I bring the German terms in a new alphabetical order or need I contact the client in order to find out how she wants to have it done?

I would wait until the document is in the final stage before sorting alphabetically. Just imagine how difficult you'd be making it for the client's proofreader/reviewer to review the translation if the paragraphs are not in the same order.

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Put them in alphabetical order... Feb 24, 2008

if it is just a list of terms. If the terms also appear as chapter headings, for example, which are also in alphabetical order, as Samuel suggested, then you would have to contact the client.

From my experience the list of term definitions is an aid for the policy holder and being in alphabetical order obviously makes it easier to find what you're looking for. There would be no logic to them appearing in the policy in the same order.

I would put them alphabetically an
... See more
if it is just a list of terms. If the terms also appear as chapter headings, for example, which are also in alphabetical order, as Samuel suggested, then you would have to contact the client.

From my experience the list of term definitions is an aid for the policy holder and being in alphabetical order obviously makes it easier to find what you're looking for. There would be no logic to them appearing in the policy in the same order.

I would put them alphabetically and include a note to the client.

Paty
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
In the final stage... Feb 24, 2008

...I then proceed to put the terms in alphabetical order in the target language. It seems to be the logical way to do things.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Plus... Feb 24, 2008

(I forgot this detail)

I will also turn these terms around so the same keyword appears alphabetized in the target as in the source, because the languages I deal with do not use the same word order for nouns and adjectives, for instance when you have terms consisting of more than one word.

Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your valuable comments Feb 24, 2008

In essence, I feel obliged to contact the client offering to put the terms in alphabetical order (if required, to "go the extra mile") but only at a further stage after the client has had the opportunity to review the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

alphabetical order of term definitions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »