Mobile menu

Word count for the hard copy?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mandrapa

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2003

Is there any way I can do a word count for the document that I received by fax? (Except by counting each word,- I have 14 pages, and between 500 and 600 words on each of them.)

Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:29
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by target language word count Mar 29, 2003

What I usually do in these cases is to set a rate for target language word count. This surely avoids a lot of headaches.

Good luck!

Bettina

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word Count Mar 29, 2003

You do not know target words until the job is done, so if the client wants a price now, then do it like Tayfun suggests by counting lines, etc.

I have had to live with that for many years and it gives a close enough count that both you and the client can also live with. It takes a bit more time if the format is irregular, but 14 pages is nothing.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
charge for the transcript Mar 30, 2003

If the text is not yet in a file, it is not suitable for CAT. It may be worth the effort to make a transcript first. If you cannot charge directly for a transcript, you can consider it in calculating a lump sum, simply according to the additional time efforts.

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 3, 2003

I just want to thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count for the hard copy?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs