Mobile menu

Word count for the hard copy?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mandrapa

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2003

Is there any way I can do a word count for the document that I received by fax? (Except by counting each word,- I have 14 pages, and between 500 and 600 words on each of them.)

Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by target language word count Mar 29, 2003

What I usually do in these cases is to set a rate for target language word count. This surely avoids a lot of headaches.

Good luck!

Bettina

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word Count Mar 29, 2003

You do not know target words until the job is done, so if the client wants a price now, then do it like Tayfun suggests by counting lines, etc.

I have had to live with that for many years and it gives a close enough count that both you and the client can also live with. It takes a bit more time if the format is irregular, but 14 pages is nothing.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
charge for the transcript Mar 30, 2003

If the text is not yet in a file, it is not suitable for CAT. It may be worth the effort to make a transcript first. If you cannot charge directly for a transcript, you can consider it in calculating a lump sum, simply according to the additional time efforts.

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 3, 2003

I just want to thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count for the hard copy?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs