Mobile menu

Word count for the hard copy?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mandrapa

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2003

Is there any way I can do a word count for the document that I received by fax? (Except by counting each word,- I have 14 pages, and between 500 and 600 words on each of them.)

Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by target language word count Mar 29, 2003

What I usually do in these cases is to set a rate for target language word count. This surely avoids a lot of headaches.

Good luck!

Bettina

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word Count Mar 29, 2003

You do not know target words until the job is done, so if the client wants a price now, then do it like Tayfun suggests by counting lines, etc.

I have had to live with that for many years and it gives a close enough count that both you and the client can also live with. It takes a bit more time if the format is irregular, but 14 pages is nothing.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
charge for the transcript Mar 30, 2003

If the text is not yet in a file, it is not suitable for CAT. It may be worth the effort to make a transcript first. If you cannot charge directly for a transcript, you can consider it in calculating a lump sum, simply according to the additional time efforts.

Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:08
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 3, 2003

I just want to thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count for the hard copy?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs