Mobile menu

Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

I've scanned a document using Paint Shop Pro and got some .JPG image files.

How can I use OCR using these image files with Word? Do I have to convert these image files into PDF files too? Or am I missing something?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
depends... Mar 6, 2008

... on what ocr you have. i have abbyy pdf transformer. it means that i have to convert the image to pdf, then run the ocr. if you have abbyy finereader, i guess you can just run the ocr on the image.

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
FineReader 8.0 scans jpeg Mar 6, 2008

That's the version I have...

invguy  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:32
English to Bulgarian
Best of all - scan into the OCR application Mar 6, 2008

It is not necessary to produce PDF files from the scanned images, you should be able to open the JPG files directly in the OCR application.

BTW it's best to scan documents directly into the OCR app you are using. If you do that, you won't even need to save the scans in bitmap format - most OCR programs have the option of directly sending the recognised text to Word.

If, for some reason, you need to do the scanning in another application, I'd suggest saving the scanned files as TIF, not as JPG - or save as JPG with highest quality (= minimum compression). High JPG compression ratios produce files of smaller size but - particularly in colour bitmap images - result in forming the so-called artefacts: small clusters of contrasting-colour pixels which may cause wrong recognition by the OCR algorithm.

If you haven't installed an OCR program yet, look in the software CD(s) that came with your scanner: most scanners are bundled with an OCR app.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs