Das beste Wörterbuch der Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache EN > DE > EN?
Thread poster: Barbara Herrenschwand
Barbara Herrenschwand
Barbara Herrenschwand
Spain
Local time: 00:09
English to German
+ ...
Jan 12, 2002

Hallo

Ich beschäftige mich im Moment mit englischer Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache und brauche unbedingt eine gutes Wörterbuch auf diesem Gebiet (Englisch - Deutsch - Englisch). Bevor ich mir irgend etwas anschaffe, wäre ich froh um euren Rat. Welches ist das vollständigste und vertrauenswürdigste Wörterbuch für dieses Fachgebiete?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My two cents... Jan 15, 2002

I doubt whether there is a single dictionary that stands out as *the* best - here\'s what I use:

- General economic and legal terms:

Dietl/Lorenz, Wörterbuch für Recht, Wirtschaft und Politik

Verlag C.H. Beck

EN-DE 6. Auflage 2000 / ISBN 3-406-44112-2

DE-EN 4. Auflage 1992 / ISBN 3-406-36654-6

- Banking / exchanges:

Zahn, Wörterbuch Bank- und Börsenwesen

Fritz Knapp Verlag

[The one
... See more
I doubt whether there is a single dictionary that stands out as *the* best - here\'s what I use:

- General economic and legal terms:

Dietl/Lorenz, Wörterbuch für Recht, Wirtschaft und Politik

Verlag C.H. Beck

EN-DE 6. Auflage 2000 / ISBN 3-406-44112-2

DE-EN 4. Auflage 1992 / ISBN 3-406-36654-6

- Banking / exchanges:

Zahn, Wörterbuch Bank- und Börsenwesen

Fritz Knapp Verlag

[The ones I use date back to 1994 and 1996, respectively; no idea whether there has been a later update]

EN-DE ISBN 3-7819-2032-1

DE-EN ISBN 3-7819-2031-3

- Legal terminology:

Romain/Bader/Byrd, Wörterbuch der Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache

Verlag C.H.Beck, Helbing & Lichtenhahn, Mainz

EN-DE 5. Auflage 2000 ISBN 3-406-45407-0

DE-EN 3. Auflage 1993 ISBN 3-406-35836-5

www.kater-verlag.de has quite a good selection.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
And here's my one cent... Jan 16, 2002

I\'d add a personal favorite of mine to Ralf\'s list:

Wilhelm Schäfer, Wirtschafts-Wörterbuch, 6. Aufl., Verlag Vahlen

Band I, Englisch-Deutsch, ISBN 3 8006 2377 (199

Band II, Deutsch-Englisch, ISBN 3 8006 2452 4 (2000)

HTH

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
And then there's Hamblock Jan 16, 2002

I like to use Hamblock/Wessels Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch...

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:09
German to English
Legal Dictionary Jan 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-16 11:39, alison1969 wrote:

I second Alison\'s opinion. I have Zahn, Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and Hamblock/Wessels. I\'ve had Dietl/Lorenz for several months now and am repeatedly disappointed in it. Maybe I haven\'t gotten used to the way it is set up, but more often than not I will find the legal word in Ha... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-16 11:39, alison1969 wrote:

I second Alison\'s opinion. I have Zahn, Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and Hamblock/Wessels. I\'ve had Dietl/Lorenz for several months now and am repeatedly disappointed in it. Maybe I haven\'t gotten used to the way it is set up, but more often than not I will find the legal word in Hamblock but not in Dietl/Lorenz. Hamblock rules! ▲ Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 18:09
German to English
+ ...
Hamblock ist zu vergessen! Jan 16, 2002

Dietl ist das zuverlässigste Rechtswörterbuch für EN und DE.

Natürlich muss man sich damit auskennen, um den vollen Nutzen daraus ziehen zu können. Die \"Hamblock-Übersetzungen\", die ich bis jetzt im KudoZ-Forum gesehen habe, sind schlecht und zu 99% falsch.

Dietl rules - not doubt (used by experts!)

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I did't make my posting as clear as I could.... Jan 17, 2002

I use Hamblock for general business terms, but Dietl for the first stage of legal terminology work. Once I\'ve found the term in Dietl I like to check out the proper usage in Garner\'s Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage.

Sorry for any confusion guys!

Plus I like to check specific references to specific acts (e.g. §264 HGB) in the relevant Act (either in my hard copies or on-line) to make sure I get the meaning completely right...

berelin
berelin
German to English
+ ...
Dietl v. Hamblock Mar 18, 2002

One of the major limitations of Dietl is that the last edition of the German to English volume is 10 years old. A lot of new terminology (in intellectual property/business law/European law) is missing.

Dietl offers a lot of functional translations which, while always very accurate, are often not the most usual. However its explanations are good which may help non-legally-trained translators.

Hamblock/Wessels is a SUPERB dictionary. Comprehensive and ve
... See more
One of the major limitations of Dietl is that the last edition of the German to English volume is 10 years old. A lot of new terminology (in intellectual property/business law/European law) is missing.

Dietl offers a lot of functional translations which, while always very accurate, are often not the most usual. However its explanations are good which may help non-legally-trained translators.

Hamblock/Wessels is a SUPERB dictionary. Comprehensive and very very well researched. Werner mentioned that some of the Hamblock translations on the site appear inapt. This is probably because Hamblock does not provide explanations and offers multiple alternatives - to use the dictionary properly you have to know the subject well or be prepared to cross-reference results.

By way of comparision for one paticular meaning of *Ausweisung* Dietl has \"expulsion of an alien\" and for *ausweisen* \"to expel (an unwanted person)\"

Hamblock has \"expulsion, deportation banishment\" and \"expel, deport, exclude, banish\" respectively

In UK English we talk almost exclusively of deportation. Consequently, while you will clearly get the meaning right relying on Dietl (no risk that you will use the completely inappropriate *banishment*) you won\'t necessarily have found the most appropriate word.

Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Disagree Mar 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-18 14:47, berelin wrote:

Dietl offers a lot of functional translations which, while always very accurate, are often not the most usual. However its explanations are good which may help non-leg... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-18 14:47, berelin wrote:

Hamblock/Wessels is a SUPERB dictionary. Comprehensive and very very well researched. Werner mentioned that some of the Hamblock translations on the site appear inapt. This is probably because Hamblock does not provide explanations and offers multiple alternatives - to use the dictionary properly you have to know the subject well or be prepared to cross-reference results.

By way of comparision for one paticular meaning of *Ausweisung* Dietl has \"expulsion of an alien\" and for *ausweisen* \"to expel (an unwanted person)\"

Hamblock has \"expulsion, deportation banishment\" and \"expel, deport, exclude, banish\" respectively

In UK English we talk almost exclusively of deportation. Consequently, while you will clearly get the meaning right relying on Dietl (no risk that you will use the completely inappropriate *banishment*) you won\'t necessarily have found the most appropriate word.

Dietl is still much, much better than Hamblock. Besides, the English-German volume came out in a new edition in 2000, with the German-English to follow soon.

Of course, you cannot just pick terms out of a dictionary blindly; you have to be smart about your choices, and, above all, consult more than just one dictionary! But Hamblock will never be my choice.
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
expulsion v. deportation Mar 19, 2002

I remember watching a gaggle of EU politicians discussing the situation in Kosovo here in Washington, DC. It struck me as curious how some of those leaders, non-native English speaking, would refer to the expulsion of Kosovo Albanians as a mass deportation. These two terms don\'t mean the same. Expulsion is done by force or through circumstance, deportation is a primarily a legal procedure, hence I don\'t understand the above comment.

[ This Message was edited by: on 20
... See more
I remember watching a gaggle of EU politicians discussing the situation in Kosovo here in Washington, DC. It struck me as curious how some of those leaders, non-native English speaking, would refer to the expulsion of Kosovo Albanians as a mass deportation. These two terms don\'t mean the same. Expulsion is done by force or through circumstance, deportation is a primarily a legal procedure, hence I don\'t understand the above comment.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-19 14:59 ]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Are we talking legal or business dictionaries here? Mar 19, 2002

As I said before, I use Hamblock for business terms and find it truly excellent in that field. Hamblock is not, was not and will never be a legal dictionary.

Dietl is a legal dictionary, the business (especially the financial) terminology sucks.

Would you consult a medical text book for a business question? No. So let\'s not get business and legal confused. Okay, they do overlap, but we have to know when to use which dictionary.

Ano
... See more
As I said before, I use Hamblock for business terms and find it truly excellent in that field. Hamblock is not, was not and will never be a legal dictionary.

Dietl is a legal dictionary, the business (especially the financial) terminology sucks.

Would you consult a medical text book for a business question? No. So let\'s not get business and legal confused. Okay, they do overlap, but we have to know when to use which dictionary.

Another thing I like to do if I have a term I am unsure of and find a dictionary translation is to \"put the dictionary translation to the test\" - look it up in my text books and on the Web. If I find it used in context I think that\'s a good sign.

My 2 euro-cents.

Alison
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dietl Elektronisch Mar 20, 2002

Kater is offering a CD-ROM version of Dietl. Is it as good as the book version? One reason I am asking is that I think I noticed that Ernst in CD-ROM does not seem as extensive as its print version.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Das beste Wörterbuch der Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache EN > DE > EN?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »