Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 11, 2008

Hello,

Sorry to be writing in English but my German isn't very good. In fact that's why I'm asking for your help. I think reading easy texts in German will help me improve my vocabulary as was the case with the Readers series of some British publishers like Oxford or Longman (http://plrcatalogue.pearson.com/) or with the "textes en français facile" for French.

Could you please
... See more
Hello,

Sorry to be writing in English but my German isn't very good. In fact that's why I'm asking for your help. I think reading easy texts in German will help me improve my vocabulary as was the case with the Readers series of some British publishers like Oxford or Longman (http://plrcatalogue.pearson.com/) or with the "textes en français facile" for French.

Could you please recommend an German equivalent of such learning materials? Preferably classic texts rewritten in simplified German.

Many thanks in advance,
Dan
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Leicht verständliche deutsche Texte gesucht Nov 11, 2008

Dan sucht leicht verständliche deutsche Texte, um sein Deutsch zu verbessern - hat jemand eine Idee?

Merci & LG Ralf

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
für junge Leser Nov 11, 2008

Try searching in the "junge Leser" category (ab 13-14). You'll find a lot of material that's actually great reading!

Birgit Schrader
Birgit Schrader  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:06
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
"Leichte Lektürn" Nov 11, 2008

Most publishers with a "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" Programm, like Langenscheidt, offer some "easy readers", have a look here:
http://www.langenscheidt.de/katalog/reihe_leichte_lektueren_fuer_deutsch_als_fremdsprache_in_stufen_434_424.html
Birgit

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Some others... Nov 11, 2008

that's right,

children's literature is great for beginners (In Germany e.g. the "dtv-pocket" series)

For young adult fiction I recommend this author. He is brilliant:
http://www.rainermschroeder.com/Buecher/buecher.html

Here you can get furth
... See more
that's right,

children's literature is great for beginners (In Germany e.g. the "dtv-pocket" series)

For young adult fiction I recommend this author. He is brilliant:
http://www.rainermschroeder.com/Buecher/buecher.html

Here you can get further advice concerning your language level:
http://www.deutsch-perfekt.com/
(like Spotlight) just have a look. I guess you can get that easy everywhere in Europe now.

A good starting point to learn a foreign language is always trashy literature (like "Jerry Cotton") or easy crime novels.

However, if you know German to a certain extent I can really recommend some contemporary authors who write in a style using clear structures and rather short sentences (quite the opposite to Thomas Mann):
- Birgit Vanderbeke // especially that one: Alberta empfängt einen Liebhaber; http://www.die-leselust.de/buch/vande001.htm
- Ingo Schulze (Simple Stories)
- Jakob Hein (Herr Jensen steigt aus)
- Hermann Hesse (e.g. "Siddharta", Hesse tends to use short sentences as well...I guess that's the secret why he is so famous all over the world)

Here are some famous German classics, rewritten in simplified German, "Cornelsen" is the publishing house

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff: Die Judenbuche, EUR 2,40, ISBN 3-464-60943-x
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Götz von Berlichingen, EUR 2,90, ISBN 3-464-60940-5
Gottfried Keller: Kleider machen Leute, EUR 2,40, ISBN 3-464-60944-8
http://www.cornelsen.de/cgi/WebObjects/KatalogPlus.woa/wo/0.24.15.0.3.1.1.0.0.1.0.0.1.0.0.1.0.3.3.1.1
Friedrich Schiller: Wilhelm Tell, EUR 3,40, ISBN 3-464-60939-1
Friedrich Schiller: Die Räuber, EUR 3,25, ISBN 3-464-60953-7
Friedrich Schiller: Kabale und Liebe, EUR 2,85, ISBN 3-464-60938-3
Theodor Storm: Der Schimmelreiter, EUR 3,40, ISBN 3-464-9042-1
Theodor Storm: Pole Poppenspäler, EUR 2,25, ISBN 3-464-60950-2 Heinrich von Kleist: Der zerbrochene Krug, EUR 2025, ISBN 3-464-60954-5
Jeremias Gotthelf: Die schwarze Spinne, EUR 3,40, ISBN 3-464-60948-0
E.T.A. Hoffmann: Das Fräulein von Scuderie, EUR 2,35, ISBN 3-464-60949-9
Gotthold Ephraim Lessing: Nathan der Weise, EUR 3,35, ISBN 3-464-60936-7

Greetings - Katrin

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-11 19:29]
Collapse

Liliana Galiano
Liliana Galiano
Argentina
Local time: 09:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Articles Nov 11, 2008

If I were you I'd translate articles from www.spiegel.de, some of them are not
so long, they are not that difficult and keep you updated too. You can also watch
spiegel tv. We used to practise with der Spiegel when I was studying German in
the USA.

Hope you like it.

Liliana

Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Russendisko Nov 11, 2008

I would recommend "Russendisko" by a Russian author named Vladimir Kaminer. Although his mother tongue is Russian, he wrote his book in a quite simple and understandable German. It is a collection of short stories (2 to 3 pages), so it should keep you motivated (there is nothing worse than being faced to a book you can even imagine finishing). And it's hilarious! It was one of the first books I read for pleasure (I mean my first non-uni book).
Viel Spass!

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Nov 11, 2008

Thank you Ralf and thank you all for your suggestions. I just ordered the following:

# 1 Exemplar(e) von: San Manuel Bueno, Märtyrer
Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Nathan der Weise - Schülerheft. Dramatisches Gedicht in fünf Aufzügen (Lernmaterialien)
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: Russendisko
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Kabale und Lie
... See more
Thank you Ralf and thank you all for your suggestions. I just ordered the following:

# 1 Exemplar(e) von: San Manuel Bueno, Märtyrer
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Nathan der Weise - Schülerheft. Dramatisches Gedicht in fünf Aufzügen (Lernmaterialien)
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: Russendisko
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Kabale und Liebe - Schülerheft
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Götz von Berlichingen
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Wilhelm Tell
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Die schwarze Spinne. Schülerheft: Novelle
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Der Schimmelreiter
# 1 Exemplar(e) von: einfach klassisch: Die Räuber

This year I'm taking the train to go to work and I hope these books will help me spend this time well.

More suggestions are welcome!
Thanks again,
Dan
Collapse

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Totally agree Nov 12, 2008

Fiona wrote:

I would recommend "Russendisko" by a Russian author named Vladimir Kaminer. -- And it's hilarious!

Totally agree...you'll burst into laughter!! Not everybody likes his sense of humour. Well, I enjoyed...Have fun!!!
Good choice!
Katrin

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Please recommend easy readings in German

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »