Anton David  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:38
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

Hello everybody,

A client asked me to provide translation from Eng into German Luxembourgh. I have been looking in the database but can't find any. Do you know if there is an actual difference between German Germany and German Luxembourgh. (If yes, please, let me know how does this pair, it is only few words)

Thanks

Anton

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
English to German
Letzeburgesch Oct 21, 2003

Hi Anton,

there are huge differences, in fact this is not German at all. Look for "Letzeburgesch" in the Freelancer directory and ask your client if this is what he wants.

Regards
Andy

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:38
German to English
+ ...
No, they do speak German there too. Oct 21, 2003

Andy Lemminger wrote:

Hi Anton,

there are huge differences, in fact this is not German at all. Look for "Letzeburgesch" in the Freelancer directory and ask your client if this is what he wants.

Regards
Andy

German is an official language of Luxembourg, as is French. I am not sure of the status of the local dialect: it has only been even recognized as a language relatively recently. German as spoken in Luxembourg is pretty much like German spoken anywhere. It is quite distinct from Luxembourgish or "Letzeburgesch".

I recently saw a job ad from a bank in Luxembourg, and "quadrilinguisme" was specified as a prerequisiste. The four languages needed were "l'anglais, l'allemand, le francais, et le luxembourgeois".

[Edited at 2003-10-21 21:09]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

German Luxembourgh

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs