Mobile menu

Copyright v. Zeitungsartikeln
Thread poster: Saga
Saga
English to German
May 21, 2004

Hallo an Alle,

ich haette zwei Fragen:

1. Wenn ich Zeitungsartikel (US, UK) uebersetze, die copyright-geschuetzt sind und diese auf einer deutschen Webseite veroeffentlicht werden, muss die Zeitung dann erst um Erlaubnis gebeten werden?

2. Muss ich am Ende des Dokuments die Quelle angeben? Sicher gibt es hierfuer ein genaues Format. Vielleicht wisst Ihr von einem link, der mir weiterhelfen koennte!

Vielen Dank!

Gruss,

Yvonne

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
German to English
+ ...
I believe you do have to request permission May 21, 2004

Hi Yvonne,

I'm not an expert on copyright, but from a bit of exploration of the subject using Google, I have the definite impression that you must ask permission (newspaper articles are by definition copyrighted in all countries that are party to the Berne convention, and that includes the US and probably most if not all West European countries). As for what you have to do to credit the source, in my experience that depends on what the copyright holder specifies -- some are relatively relaxed, while others have very specific requirements.

To get a firmer opinion on this you could always ask a German lawyer familiar with copyright issues, but you could also try asking a major German newspaper or periodical (they presumably have to deal with the same issue) or a reputable translation agency.

Good luck -- ken

[Edited at 2004-05-21 22:04]

Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 04:11
English to German
+ ...
Client's responsibility May 22, 2004

I'm no legal expert, but I would think it should be the client's responsibility to ensure that he has permission to have copyrighted material translated, and not that of the translator.

German to English
+ ...
further comment May 22, 2004

Olav Rixen wrote:

I'm no legal expert, but I would think it should be the client's responsibility to ensure that he has permission to have copyrighted material translated, and not that of the translator.

Hi Olav,

I'm inclined to agree if the client is an agency (translators usually cede copyright to the agency), but I'm not sure this applies if the client is the end user. However, I hasten to add that this is basically gut feel and not an expert opinion. For books and similar publications, it is typically the author's responsibility to obtain copyright permission (I recently translated part of a book for a UK publisher, and they insisted that I obtain copyright permission for the illustrations, even though they had already been used with permission in the German edition).
If there's any reason to think the copyright holders might take legal action (which can be rather painful for the affected party), I'd certainly advise obtaining an informed opinion.

best regards -- ken

German to English
+ ...
a simple solution May 22, 2004

There's a simple way to obtain a concrete answer to your question: ask the editor(s) or publisher(s) of the newspaper(s) (they surely have published e-mail addresses).
If they say permission is not required, you've one less thing to worry about, and if they say it is required, you can be happy you've saved yourself from the possibility of getting into legal difficulties.
If permission is required, the newspapers may want to charge a fee; this would probably depend on the economic significance of what your client does with the translations. You should be able to pass any such fee on to the client, or the client may wish to negotiate an arrangement directly with the newspaper.

good luck!

Katrin Suchan  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
bin nicht sicher May 26, 2004

Hallo,

ich würde eher Olav zustimmen, allerdings bin ich nicht sicher. Ich sehe es auch so, dass es ja letztendlich Dein Kunde ist, der die Übersetzung ins Internet stellt oder anderweitig weiterverwendet. Meines Erachtens muss er sich also auch um die Rechte kümmern.

Ansonsten käme man ja ständig in die Zwickmühle, z.B. wenn ein Kunde einem sagt, er möchte die Übersetzung nur zu Informationszwecken haben. Wer gibt die Garantie, dass er sie später nicht doch veröffentlicht? Oder muss man selbst dafür die Genehmigung einholen?

Ich bin gespannt auf weitere Antworten!

Gruß,
Katrin

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Copyright v. Zeitungsartikeln

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs