Mobile menu

Are Trados-owners (...redundanter Thread wurde gesperrt)
Thread poster: Manuela Schilling

Manuela Schilling
Local time: 01:51
English to German
+ ...
Nov 2, 2002

Hello there!

The other day there was the following job-posting on ProZ:

We have 40,500 words to be delivered on Monday 28th, October. Since the deadline is too close we will split the work into several translators. Please reply to only if you agree with the prices.Trados is needed, many repeat words. It\'s about a technical manual. Payment is 0.05 USD per new word and 0.025 per repeat words. File will be in PDF format and needs to be delivered in PDF or

MS word format. Please reply to these address if you agree with this rate and can meet the deadline of 6pm GERMANY TIME. DONT FORGET TO TELL ME HOW MANY WORDS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DELIVER. PLEASE DONT COMMITT TO A CERTAIN NUMBER OF WORDS IF YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU WILL DELIVER IT.

Please reply ASAP

Pricing:0.05 per new word and 0.025 per repeat word.

Who of you has seen this job posting and what did you think about it?? I\'d very much like the opinion of other translators about Trados and cheap rates like that. Does having Trados really mean that you can accept such low rates??? I \"only\" work with Wordfast - does Trados really offer further advantages that make lowering prices possible? Is it normal to pay only half the price for a repeat word?????

I wrote to the company and told them how unfitting I thought their rate (it was a rush offer, too!)

Anyway - shouldn\'t using Cat-tools like Trados be to the advantage of the translator instead of pushing the prices to a minimum for the advantage of the client? The client seems to forget that Trados costs about 500$ that have to be paid, too! I received the following short answer from the client:

\"You obviously don\'t have the trados program. This program almost makes the job for you that\'s why we offer these prices. You do not meet our requirements.\"

Am I wrong or what do you guys think about it? Do you charge less since you have started to use Trados?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-03 22:17 ]

Direct link

Carla Trapani
English to Italian
+ ...
trados helps Nov 3, 2002

It is certainly true that Trados is very helpful in certain cases and makes your life easier, and I\'m aware of the fact that repeat words are paid less... In any case € 0.05 per word with \"no match\" (i.e. new words) is definitely a low rate, both for Trados users and for the users any other CAT tools, if any.

HAve a nice day,

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Einmal reicht... Nov 3, 2002

...zumal das hier das *deutsche* Forum ist. Nix gegen den Thread, aber in der zweiten Ausgabe ist die eigentliche Diskussion gelaufen - deswegen mache ich den hier zu.

Direct link

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Are Trados-owners (...redundanter Thread wurde gesperrt)

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs