Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:12
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2008

I have been watching this site for about six weeks, trying to see whether it will work for me. I see very few Russian-to-English jobs. Is this typical, or is it a temporary lull? I have bid for a couple, but heard nothing. I am not a member, and I do see a few that are available to only members, or that open up to non-members after a certain period of time. But the overall flow seems to be very low. I don't plan to join until I get an idea whether this is going to work for me. (I am not a technical translator, and fear to venture into translations on drill pumps or diesel machines. It seems that most Russian to English jobs ARE of a technical nature, however. Is that true?)
Thanks for any advice you can give,

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Susan Mar 23, 2008

I see 18 jobs on the list since March 11, in most various fields, from computers to zoology and translation of diplomas. There should be many more since 6 weeks. The other thing is that some of the jobs were for interpreting, some for translation; some were actual and some - potential. And, of course, each job required a different specialization. In your profile I can see only one, rather narrow field of specialization: International Org/Dev/Coop. This must be the reason why 'bidding' (sending a quote) did not work for you.

You should not be distressed after sending a couple of quotes only. To achieve any success you should be rather persistent otherwise you have no chance. Try participating in KudoZ to rise your visibility on the directory; try sending more quotes; try adding more fields of specialization to your profile. Browse the older threads on the forum - you will certainly find lots of useful advise.

MGL  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
Russian to English
well... Mar 23, 2008

January - March have been extremely busy months for me.
The thing to keep in mind is that not all of your work will come from one translator community website, be it ProZ or Those of Which we Shall Not Speak. That said, I do think that having your profile on these sites is an important way to get yourself "out there."

I was very lucky in that I was able to make a relatively smooth transition from in-house to freelance by securing an outsourcing contract with my former employer before I left. Even so, I still had to go out looking for other jobs. I only bid on jobs now and then, when I see something that I know falls within my particular translation experiences. All that to say that while I do appreciate the jobs I have won on ProZ, my income certainly does not depend on them.

As for your question about technical... well, I guess technical can imply different fields of terminology. So far, I have managed to somehow evade most anything "scientific," since my in-house and long-term experiences put me in other fields which probably aren't seen as "technical." I think once you learn and understand the basics of a particular field, get some resources in a field (including people) and figure out a way to research terms that works for you, you will become competent in and eventually master whatever field you set your sights on.

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
One more thing to consider Mar 23, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote: I see very few Russian-to-English jobs. Is this typical, or is it a temporary lull? ...But the overall flow seems to be very low.

Hi Susan,

From what I know (including my own experience), the surface job flow is ca. 20% of the actual job traffic. Besides there's another aspect to it: those who post jobs are rate-sensitive; those who take quality/qualifications as the primary parameter tend to search for suitable translators and contact them directly. In my experience, the rates offered by clients who contact me directly after finding me at ProZ or elsewhere are usually twice as high as the rates in biddable jobs.

Of course I'm talking about the EN into RU pair, but the principle and percentages are more or less the same I guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian to English job flow

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs