Thread poster: Marleen Pieper
Marleen Pieper
Marleen Pieper  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
Member (2008)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 24, 2008

I have just started sending out my CV to several agencies (in Holland and Spain) in order to get some translating work. I notice that the Spanish agencies ask for diplomas a lot more then the Dutch ones. I have now had a couple of replies from Spanish agencies asking me to scan my diploma and scan the proof that I have been sworn in by the court. I should send these scans to them.

I have got all these diplomas and proofs. But it´s all in Dutch. My question is:
Can I send eve
... See more
I have just started sending out my CV to several agencies (in Holland and Spain) in order to get some translating work. I notice that the Spanish agencies ask for diplomas a lot more then the Dutch ones. I have now had a couple of replies from Spanish agencies asking me to scan my diploma and scan the proof that I have been sworn in by the court. I should send these scans to them.

I have got all these diplomas and proofs. But it´s all in Dutch. My question is:
Can I send everything in Duth? Shall I translate everything to Spanish and send that too? Is it necesary that the translation is being done by a "sworn" translator (traductor jurado)? Since I have been sworn in myself, could I do this myself if they ask for a "sworn" translation?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Scan Mar 24, 2008

Hi Marleen,

If they are asking you to scan your diplomas etc., they are not asking for a translation. But why not check with them to find out exactly what they want? If they want a translation by a sworn translator, it should be someone other than yourself.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What's the point? Mar 24, 2008

You need a diploma officially translated when something is to be done about it, e.g. you will continue your studies in another country. But for a translation agency??? Have they already given you a sworn translation job, and the requesting authority demands to see the hired translator's credentials?

Nope, they are just playing difficult, like most agencies that make it difficult from beginning to end, so there is no change in procedure or procedural speed when it's time to pay the t
... See more
You need a diploma officially translated when something is to be done about it, e.g. you will continue your studies in another country. But for a translation agency??? Have they already given you a sworn translation job, and the requesting authority demands to see the hired translator's credentials?

Nope, they are just playing difficult, like most agencies that make it difficult from beginning to end, so there is no change in procedure or procedural speed when it's time to pay the translator.

Some agencies requested a scanned file of my Brazilian certificate as a sworn translator, and I obliged. Believe me, never got one single job from them. Others asked me to send a few signed papers, NDA and the like. The fastest paying ones just found me and sent me the job. Some people like to see work done; others fall into the "activity trap", and think that all the bureaucratic requirements they invent is adding value to some work that will never be done by them.

I suggest you scan your diplomas, and send them as they are. If this agency wants them translated and certified, tell them to get some such translator on their own (and pay for it!!!), as if you hired a translator, this person might be biased in your favor, or even give you a colleague discount you wouldn't transfer to them. Let them enjoy their whole paranoia!
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 05:39
Russian to English
+ ...
I have always translated all my credentials ... Mar 25, 2008

and vital statistics records myself, and no one ever had a problem with it. But other colleagues are right as well - don't put too much of an effort into it, just give them the originals.

María Angélica Fernández
María Angélica Fernández  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should send the diplomas and their translations Mar 25, 2008

Marleen Pieper wrote:

Can I send everything in Duth? Shall I translate everything to Spanish and send that too? Is it necesary that the translation is being done by a "sworn" translator (traductor jurado)? Since I have been sworn in myself, could I do this myself if they ask for a "sworn" translation?

Thanks for your help.

In my opinion, you should send the scanned diplomas and the translations too. I also think that it is not necessary to send a sworn translation, only one done by you as a kind of explanation or attachment of what is written in Dutch for those people who are going to look at your CV and don't know anything about the Dutch language.
This would make things easier for you and the person who is going to hire you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating your own diplomas?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »