Mobile menu

NYU or WLS?
Thread poster: schnelly_83
schnelly_83
German to English
Mar 27, 2008

I will be graduating next May with a BA in German and minor in Professional Writing. I want to be a translator for a living ( btw, I want to live in Germany with my German wife, so relocation is not the problem). My problem is deciding what to do next to get to my objective. My German right now is at C2 (European Standard), which is pretty good, but not fantastic. I have laid out 3 options:

- WLS combined translation courses
- NYU graduate certificate in Translation
- possible German graduate study in Germany

I'm really burned out with studying right now. The thought of studying Germanistik for 2 more years is really "belaestigend". I really love the language, but the thought of studying literature written in medieval German is absolutley horrifying. I will definitely study intensively at a private language school for 2-3 months upon my return to Germany." Erfrischungskurs". What I was wondering is if anyone could recommend either the NYU or WLS program? Which looks better on a resume/CV? Especially if you've taken part in one. I am studying and working full-time right now, so WLS may be a more viable option.

My career goals (and perhaps graduate studies is not necessary to complete this):

-ATA certification
-IOL certification (my wife wants to work in the UK for a year, should give me a chance)
-German state certification
-German Chamber of Commerce (IHK) certification
-I would like to work as a translator (freelance or contracted) and a technical editor/writer

Like I said before, I could probably start into translation at this point, but I don't want to practice or learn from my mistakes with an official client's work, right? The path is not is of concern, but reaching the final destination. With that said, please "mentor" away!

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
One step at a time Mar 27, 2008

and DO move according to your life.

If you'll be relocating too soon to finish a certificate, you might consider a German course option. Otherwise, if I were you, I'd do a certificate course of my choice for the fun of it (lateral thinking works, too), rather than for the certificate itself. (Heaven knows my certificates didn't give me everything I know now).

You see, putting your career options before your life options can be disastrous, and when we talk about life options, your wife's choices will count as well. No harm can come out of planning the future together, and if that takes you away from your original plans, it might even improve upon them. But you do have the advantage that, in any case, you're already married to your language pair

Collect the certifications along the way, you still have a mite go - and relax!

Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
there are lots of options out there... Mar 27, 2008

I have never heard of WLS... but I see they're in Dublin...

I would defintely talk to people who have been through the program to find out their experience.

I am very familiar with NYU, having taught there for many years...

They offer some really good courses and some not so good courses, depending on the instructor. They definitely do not hire as carefully as they used to.

If I remember correctly, the German program is all on-line...Too bad, because when you have the opportunity, in person courses are better (I should know, I've taught both). I know a couple of the German instructors are quite good. Don't know about the rest...

If you German reading level is not top-notch, you need to work on that first.

Then you would do well to talk to others who have studied in various German translation programs to see which is the best... and who the best instructors are...

Best of luck to you...

schnelly_83 wrote:

I will be graduating next May with a BA in German and minor in Professional Writing. I want to be a translator for a living ( btw, I want to live in Germany with my German wife, so relocation is not the problem). My problem is deciding what to do next to get to my objective. My German right now is at C2 (European Standard), which is pretty good, but not fantastic. I have laid out 3 options:

- WLS combined translation courses
- NYU graduate certificate in Translation
- possible German graduate study in Germany

I'm really burned out with studying right now. The thought of studying Germanistik for 2 more years is really "belaestigend". I really love the language, but the thought of studying literature written in medieval German is absolutley horrifying. I will definitely study intensively at a private language school for 2-3 months upon my return to Germany." Erfrischungskurs". What I was wondering is if anyone could recommend either the NYU or WLS program? Which looks better on a resume/CV? Especially if you've taken part in one. I am studying and working full-time right now, so WLS may be a more viable option.

My career goals (and perhaps graduate studies is not necessary to complete this):

-ATA certification
-IOL certification (my wife wants to work in the UK for a year, should give me a chance)
-German state certification
-German Chamber of Commerce (IHK) certification
-I would like to work as a translator (freelance or contracted) and a technical editor/writer

Like I said before, I could probably start into translation at this point, but I don't want to practice or learn from my mistakes with an official client's work, right? The path is not is of concern, but reaching the final destination. With that said, please "mentor" away!

Thanks in advance,
Terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NYU or WLS?

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs