Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 23:05
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
how far is far enough? -- non-disclosure agreement Oct 15, 2008

@FrancescoP:

>I mean I don\'t work for the CIA. In the past, working on some stricktly confidential >information, I was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement and of course I didn\'t >include this information in my CV.

that means that, if I sign a non-disclosure agreement, I am not even allowed to mention the name of the contractors that engaged the agency I work for? for example, if Microsoft contracts my major translation agency and I translate the whole MS-W
... See more
@FrancescoP:

>I mean I don\'t work for the CIA. In the past, working on some stricktly confidential >information, I was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement and of course I didn\'t >include this information in my CV.

that means that, if I sign a non-disclosure agreement, I am not even allowed to mention the name of the contractors that engaged the agency I work for? for example, if Microsoft contracts my major translation agency and I translate the whole MS-Word in another language, I am not allowed to mention "Microsoft" in my CV without permission of:

- my agency?
- Microsoft
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 23:05
French to Dutch
+ ...
No. Oct 15, 2008

that means that, if I sign a non-disclosure agreement, I am not even allowed to mention the name of the contractors that engaged the agency I work for? for example, if Microsoft contracts my major translation agency and I translate the whole MS-Word in another language, I am not allowed to mention "Microsoft" in my CV without permission of:

- my agency?
- Microsoft

And in some non-disclosure agreements this is even mentioned. The end client is not YOUR client, it is the agency's client. The agency worked hard to have their client database: they went to trade fairs, they invested in advertising, in some cases they have contracts with their clients, etc. And when they sell their agency, the client database is a part of their capital. (I did it once, the databate was worth one year of turnover).

In other cases the non-disclosure agreements only state that the translator shouldn't contact the end client without their permission. In yet other cases there is no contract at all. But pharmaceutical laboratories, for instance, don't want you to publish their names because of discoveries they are doing, etc.

Personnally I refrain to publish client names AND end client names, but last week I was asked for a cv (!!) by an advertising agency, a serious one, who wondered why in 20 years I didn't manage to have one single reference. I was not able to convince her that translators don't work under the same conditions as advertising agencies, for which a prestigious name is something to be added on their leaflets... I lost the job.

Good luck.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PirateZ on ProZ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »