Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2002

What can you really do if a fellow ProZ member sneaks into your profile, downloads your CV, swaps a few vital statistics and submits this CV as his own?

This is exactly what happened to me now. I would have not noticed the whole thing if a potential client did not warn me of this. The poor guy simply left my email address in this recreated CV, which was sort of strange to the client. (Apparently both of use bid for the same job.)

Even the list of specialties was exactly the same, not to mention the entire layout, fonts and wording.

How can you tell such a person to abandon such practices?

Direct link Reply with quote

Chiara Santoriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
PirateZ on ProZ Jan 9, 2002

I\'ve never put my CV on my profile because I think that \"competitors\" could take it and use it as they like or offer their services to my customers.

Chiara

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Report to Proz.com Jan 9, 2002

You should report this circumstance to Henry immediately.

It\'ll catch his eyes most certainly!

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Kick-off Jan 9, 2002

No, not football. As Mr. Behrend states, report to Henry; this person should be barred from using ProZ (although with such ethics this probably won\'t help - he\'ll just come back with a false profile)

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 09:42
Turkish to English
+ ...
identity theft Jan 9, 2002

I agree with the concensus here that identity theft is a growing problem for translators.

Recently I was approached on the phone by somebody claiming to be the secretary of a well-know celebrity who wished to commission a translation of about 300 words (on credit terms). The only contact details she was prepared to give was a fax number and she was very insistent that I should send a detailed CV. When I requested that the other party sign and return a brief contractual agreement for the work to be performed, she became quite hostile. The matter went no further because I am only prepared to work on credit terms for people who will provide a written request or sign a contract, and certainly not for anyone who will only supply a fax number.

Of course, this may have been a genuine enquiry, but my suspicion is that somebody was trying to obtain my CV and get me to do a test translation for them with the aim of getting translation work by impersonating me.

I think we should all be vigilant.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 02:42
German to English
+ ...
Pirates,.... Jan 9, 2002

This has been going on for a long time: people copying other translators\' profiles or personal websites (sometimes, word for word - happened to me at least twice over the last few months, and when I say \"word for word\", I do mean \"word for word), etc.

As long as they provide some \"original content\", I don\'t mind - imitation is form of flattery .

Of course, if someone uses another translator\'s CV word for word, we move from \"flattery\" to \"fraud\". However, I don\'t see how Henry can help. Sure, he could remove that person from ProZ. But what good what that do?

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:42
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Posting a CV Jan 9, 2002

I do not post a CV here for just the reasons mentioned: too easy for anybody to obtain it and use it for who knows what purpose.

Instead, I just leave contact numbers and email. If the outsourcer is interested enough, they contact me and if *I* am interested enough, I will mail the resume.

Requires one more step on the part of the outsourcer, but if they are not professional enough to take that step, perhaps I do not want that kind of business.

As Nancy Reagan says, \"Just say NO.\"

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
What good would that do? Jan 9, 2002

Werner, at least that person won\'t be here any more.

Yes, they can come back under a false profile. And yes, we all have to have our eyes open. (Please, Henry, ban empty profiles)

I think we have to adhere to a strict code of conduct; stealing a colleague\'s CV is totally inadmissible.

And if such person cannot be disbarred, at least we can have them \"disProZed\"

Best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Copied CV Jan 9, 2002

Ban,

Have you contacted the perpetrator directly? He can\'t deny it, since he left your e-mail address in it.

Trudy

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no denial Jan 9, 2002

Thank you for all your comments. Apparently, someone notified Henry of this incident (it wasn\'t me) and he sent me email asking about the identity of this person. First I did not wish reveal his ID, but after a few hours (and reading your encouraging words) I decided to tell Henry about this.

Of course I contacted the \"perpetrator\" directly. Actually, judging from his address, he lives just a couple of blocks away from my place. He did not deny anything. In fact, he said that the very reason he had copied my CV was because it just looked so professional.

In my email to Henry I proposed a \"ProZiquette\", a code of conduct that should be read and understood by every prospective (or even existing) member before s/he can become a full-fledged member (paying or not). I know this would not prevent anyone from copying someone else\'s CV or doing other nasty things, but at least they would (?) feel bad about doing so.

DeJump
English to French
+ ...
Remedy to such practices Jan 10, 2002

Resumes should be made available online and emailed as pdf files. It preserves your original layout, reduces the file size and Acrobat\'s security features enable you to protect your resume\'s content using a digital signature and/or a password.

Rusinterp  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
I second this Jan 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-09 21:27, p_lutteral wrote:

Werner, at least that person won\'t be here any more.

Yes, they can come back under a false profile. And yes, we all have to have our eyes open. (Please, Henry, ban empty profiles)

I think we have to adhere to a strict code of conduct; stealing a colleague\'s CV is totally inadmissible.

And if such person cannot be disbarred, at least we can have them \"disProZed\"

Best regards,

Patricia

I support this idea wholeheartedly! Henry, please, please, do ban empty profiles. I think it would be reasonable to provide an automated grace period: someone maybe in great hurry at the time when they registered. But then they have to come back and fill out the profile - say, within a week, or 10 days?

Also - is it at all possible to prevent fraudulent \"members\", like the CV thief, to prevent from registering again? Like, so that if they try, they get a message saying \"you violated the site\'s rules of conduct, and you may not register here again\" or something to this effect?

Good luck to all,

A.T.

SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'll make a pdf-file for you. Jan 10, 2002

In the previous thread, the poster mentioned that a pdf-file was to prefer to usual Word-files, when it comes to CV:s. That\'s absolutely correct. You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file.

When you make a pdf-file, a software called Adobe Acrobat is used. But everyone doesn\'t have that software, so I\'ll create the file for free as a service. It takes about 15 seconds. ProZ-members should help each other, right...

Just mail me your CV on info@Swedish-Translation.com, I\'ll make the pdf-file and send it back to you. I guarantee total secrecy.

Best regards

Mattias Bergström

http://www.Swedish-Translation.com

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-10 09:00 ]

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
But a .pdf can still be copied, word by word... Jan 10, 2002

(quote)

You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file.

(unquote)

I\'m not familiar with the password system for protecting .pdf files. Would it be necessary to give a password to every prospective client that wanted to see our CVs on the ProZ profile? Otherwise, anyone could go to the trouble of opening the file with the Acrobat Reader and retyping it (it takes time, but it\'s still faster than doing 4 years at a good translation school!)

To you, Csada, what can I say... congrats on your new neighbor?

Andrea

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Acrobat Reader Jan 10, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-01-10 08:55, Swedish-Tr wrote:

When you make a pdf-file, a software called Adobe Acrobat is used. But everyone doesn\'t have that software, so I\'ll create the file for free as a service. It takes about 15 seconds. ProZ-members should help each other, right...

Matthias,

Your offer is great, but unfortunately anyone using Acrobar Reader could display the *.pdf-file and print it locally. Okay, it\'ll take a while to repreduce the format or to format a similar document as a *.doc-file, but style & info could be easily copied.

Giuliana
[addsig]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PirateZ on ProZ

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs