Mobile menu

hiiii,,,Really Iam New here and wanna advice
Thread poster: SilverShadow
SilverShadow
Local time: 04:18
English to Arabic
Apr 13, 2008

hey alll

iam Mohamed from Cairo,19years old and my native is arabic.i will tell u my story in Bref.When i was at primary school and i was studing english i love it so much cz i hv teacher ,teaches me the basics of English and how to write and all that So at this time,i liked this language so much and wished to be Translator Or Interpreter and my ambition at this time when i go to University,i will specialized in English.So time is come and when i applied for collage,English department refused me cz iam not at total mark they need to get there...they was asking for minimum..45.5 of 50...and at this time i get 45 of 50...only Half mark..so i decided to get to French section because at this time-was lucky-section was asking for 45 of 50 and i get at this time 45.5 of 50...so i was lucky..half mark was difference.So i wondered may be God Willing to study English and French and to be something in Life.

So Now,iam improving my english of course ,talking to people by mic on Internet or Telephone or hearing news,so i can say i speak and understand English about 90% and now i taking care of French of course because its language that iam studing now..iam in Third year and still have year to graduate.So i would to work like Translator..or Freelance...first time to hear about.Really i wish to my dream come true and when i see Interpreter or Translators working in UN etc...i said wow,wish be there but say never,how i reach there.they must be soooooooooo perfect with doubt.

But for me to do membership at ATA or any organisation will be difficult for me because iam still student and i hv limited Income.

So how i can improve myself and how i can work in Translation cz i love languages so much.

really i need who push me and give me hope cz i really i wanna make this dream come true.

sorry for long post,its my first time to write.

Thanks for alll,waiting any answer

Direct link Reply with quote

R-i-c-h-a-r-d  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:18
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hi Apr 13, 2008

Glad to see you are learning the English language - and you speak so well!

If you want to be a professional translator and seriously work in this industry then you need to start writing words in full and stop writing things like 'cz' instead of 'because', use punctuation correctly, start capitalising 'i', for example. Be professional.

Best wishes,
Richard.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Local time: 03:18
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Mohamed Apr 13, 2008

Great to hear from someone who is so enthusiastic about languages. I have studied French and Spanish most, of all of the languages I am reasonably acquainted with, because they were the ones available to me, but if I had been thinking about a career in translation or interpreting earlier, I might well have looked at other language combinations.

So don't be too discouraged if you aren't able to study English right away: perhaps you should study another language (which may not require such a high grade to get into college - not because it is not a "good" language, but because it's not so popular with the other students). You already know a great deal of English, and there will be time to improve it later.

And as Richard points out quite rightly, be careful about your "register" in English - written English has to be a little more formal, especially in a professional context. One of the most difficult things to do in a foreign language is to hit on exactly the right level of formality for each context. The abbreviated, SMS style of English is very popular but we're a long way from accepting it in all contexts!

Good luck.

Noni

SilverShadow
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Apr 13, 2008

Thanks,Richard and Noni

iam apperciate all of you....

for Richard..

Thanks ...iam just say "cz" Instead of because may be iam writting informal style here but when i talk to other people say it formal way...

and for Noni

iam really so enthusiastic about languages. and i would like to study and understand alot of essential languages in world...so I was studing English for 12 years studing it,and french Only two years but my fate change and when i went to collage,iam studing french.

So why do you mean by

"perhaps you should study another language (which may not require such a high grade to get into college - not because it is not a "good" language, but because it's not so popular with the other students)"

do you mean Arabic?(not so much people use)

But really now iam studing French at collage and really wanna improve it and English i was studing it about 12 years ago and still studing it ..so iam getting huge background about it.

Do you think..There is Hope to be "Professional" at Both???? and achive my dream to be translator or Interpreter in Big association......and what's the way to get there...with
1)Limit Income as student.

2)iam dont have "CV" to apply?? and if when i graduate and Degree which i will receive it from collage ,it will be for sure Not enough.?????!!!

Thanks

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:18
English to French
+ ...
If you're in the business of writing, all your communications are formal Apr 13, 2008

I understand that you feel that a forum doesn't deserve a more formal writing style - but think of your future prospective clients stumbling upon this thread. How do you expect for someone to be willing to pay cold hard cash for your services if you seemingly can't or won't spell words the correct way?

Also, you seem very enthusiastic about this freelance translation business - but I feel you are not trying to become a translator for the right reasons. You mention that you would be proud to be one of those UN interpreters - but you say nothing about passion for language, desire to communicate, etc. It seems as though you are into this because it would make you feel important. But translation is serious business and much more complicated than it seems. If you don't have the required talents and the drive to deliver quality translations (versus the drive to make your loved ones proud of you), then you can go to school all your life and you still will not be able to launch a career. You will not have the occasion of being proud if you don't have good reasons to become a translator in the first place. Do you have what it takes? Are you genuinely interested in the work itself, besides the status it would give you? Ask yourself these questions first.

Freelance translation is not a get-rich-quick scheme.

Edit: I just realized that you want to study the English langue. I do hope you realize that speaking a second language at near-native level does not make a translator. There are many people in the world who speak several languages, but most of them simply don't have what it takes to become a translator. It takes a lot more than English courses to become a translator.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 18:23]

SilverShadow
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
really,you misunderstand me at somepoints Apr 13, 2008

Thanks but really you are right about style of writting ,iam didn't notice that..thanks

Secondly:

You didn't understand me right,i guess...because when i said dream to become Translator or Interpreter at UN,wished so because you have to be excellent to go there...so thats my point to be perfect to -may be get chance to go there-Not to be Important.So iam very enthusiastic about languages and become translator and i can make business by it and become my job.iam feeling so interesting about translation and try to do my best to improve myself at English and French as well.

Thanks so much

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:18
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You may want to check out the students' forum Apr 13, 2008

The students' forum is here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/356

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:18
German to English
Learning by doing Apr 14, 2008

Hi, Mohamed -
I'm an old English teacher, and I'd like to tell you I think it's a good idea to use your written English as much as possible without fear of making mistakes. That's a good way to learn - be fearless.
At the same time it's a good idea to try to discover your errors and correct them forever. A very good start would be to tell yourself you're never again going to write "iam". From now on you're going to write "I am" or use the contraction "I'm". And you're always going to capitalize "I".

Best wishes, Kim

[Edited at 2008-04-14 00:08]

SilverShadow
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Apr 14, 2008

xxxKim Metzger wrote:

Hi, Mohamed -
I'm an old English teacher, and I'd like to tell you I think it's a good idea to use your written English as much as possible without fear of making mistakes. That's a good way to learn - be fearless.
At the same time it's a good idea to try to discover your errors and correct them forever. A very good start would be to tell yourself you're never again going to write "iam". From now on you're going to write "I am" or use the contraction "I'm". And you're always going to capitalize "I".

Best wishes, Kim

[Edited at 2008-04-14 00:08]

yes thanks so much and for correcting the mistakes thanks so much and thanks for" Katalin"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hiiii,,,Really Iam New here and wanna advice

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs