The best way to approach a publisher about a translation
Thread poster: Efriedeman
Efriedeman
Efriedeman
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 20, 2008

Hi all,

I have a fantastic book that I want to translate and then get published, how can I go about this?
Do I submit a few chapters directly to publishers?
What is the legal issue? Can I submit a translation without permission from the original publisher?
This particular case is further complicated because I'd be translating from a previous translation (I don't speak the original language), but I'd appreciate any general help, too.

Thank you,
... See more
Hi all,

I have a fantastic book that I want to translate and then get published, how can I go about this?
Do I submit a few chapters directly to publishers?
What is the legal issue? Can I submit a translation without permission from the original publisher?
This particular case is further complicated because I'd be translating from a previous translation (I don't speak the original language), but I'd appreciate any general help, too.

Thank you,

Elisabeth

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-20 16:17]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:18
English to French
+ ...
Translation rights May 20, 2008

First, you need to check if the translation rights for the language you want to translate the book into are available. They may have already been sold or they may not yet exist. In case they have been sold, you would need to contact the publisher/editor who has bought them to see if they have already taken arrangements to get the book translated. If they haven't, you can offer to translate the book.

You need to keep in mind that the original publisher is not really the one you need
... See more
First, you need to check if the translation rights for the language you want to translate the book into are available. They may have already been sold or they may not yet exist. In case they have been sold, you would need to contact the publisher/editor who has bought them to see if they have already taken arrangements to get the book translated. If they haven't, you can offer to translate the book.

You need to keep in mind that the original publisher is not really the one you need to be dealing with, since in the overwhelming majority of cases, the foreign-language edition is published by a publisher who works out of the country where the target language is spoken.

In case, the translation rights are available, you need to find a publisher in your country who may be interested in piublishing the translation. You need to sell them the opportunity of publishing your translation. If they buy into it, then they will contact the publisher who has the translation rights, and if they succeed in their undertaking, they will buy the translation rights. Then, they will propose to you to translate the book.

So, in a nutshell, it is with a local publisher that you would deal, and it is to them that you would need to present your translated excerpts. This often involves buying a copy of the book and lending that to them along with your translation samples.

All the best!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
It doesn't work that way May 20, 2008

Hello Elizabeth,

Many of us know of fantastic books that we would just love to translate but it doesn't work that way. First, there are copyright issues to consider. Secondly, it is usually the publisher who initiates the translation of a book. Most publishers already have a stable of experienced translators they rely on and it is very difficult to get accepted into that. The only way might be if you knew the author and he or she would recommend you.

Most importantly,
... See more
Hello Elizabeth,

Many of us know of fantastic books that we would just love to translate but it doesn't work that way. First, there are copyright issues to consider. Secondly, it is usually the publisher who initiates the translation of a book. Most publishers already have a stable of experienced translators they rely on and it is very difficult to get accepted into that. The only way might be if you knew the author and he or she would recommend you.

Most importantly, you should not translate a text that is already a translation without speaking the original language - an absolute no-no in my opinion. That's a bit like playing the game where one person whispers something to the next person, that person passes it on to the next person and so on and so forth, until the person at the end of the line hears something completely different from what was originally said.

Concentrate on becoming a good translator in your language pairs, maybe even try to specialize in literary translation if you get a chance, and who knows what opportunities may present itself in the future.
Collapse

D BANNON
D BANNON  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Korean to English
+ ...
Excellent Guides Available May 20, 2008

Elisabeth:

The American Literary Translators Association (ALTA), of which I am a member, has published 4 excellent (and free) guides on this topic. Hope this helps!

ALTA Guides to Literary Translation
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/guides.html

In 2000, ALTA published the first brochure in the series, " Breaking into Print."
... See more
Elisabeth:

The American Literary Translators Association (ALTA), of which I am a member, has published 4 excellent (and free) guides on this topic. Hope this helps!

ALTA Guides to Literary Translation
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/guides.html

In 2000, ALTA published the first brochure in the series, " Breaking into Print."
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/breakingintoprint.html

In 2001, ALTA published the second brochure in the series, " The Book-Length Translation Proposal."
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/booklengthtranslation.html

In 2002, ALTA published the third brochure in the series, " Promoting Your Literary Translation."
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/promotingyourtranslation.html

In 2003, ALTA published the fourth brochure in the series, " Getting Started in Literary Translation."
http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/Getting%20Started%20book.pdf
Collapse

Efriedeman
Efriedeman
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 21, 2008

Thank you for the alternating encouraging and discouraging advice, it's all helpful. I'll check out those ALTA guides and see what they recommend. And thank you Viktoria, for the practical info, I would've thought to deal with the original publisher.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best way to approach a publisher about a translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »