Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 21, 2008

I have gained permission to translate and publish a series of symposium publications on cultural heritage from Dutch to English from the association that organises these symposiums. I will not be paid for this but I will be exploiting the translated works. As the market is very small, I will not make much money from this: it is a rather idealistic project to better disseminate knowledge in my previous field. The articles are 'owned' by the association but it still requires me to ask permission o... See more
I have gained permission to translate and publish a series of symposium publications on cultural heritage from Dutch to English from the association that organises these symposiums. I will not be paid for this but I will be exploiting the translated works. As the market is very small, I will not make much money from this: it is a rather idealistic project to better disseminate knowledge in my previous field. The articles are 'owned' by the association but it still requires me to ask permission of the authors before I translate their articles. I have been advised that this is not usual, that such permission is not legally required. Is this true?

Secondly, the articles are in Dutch but I live in France and so will sell the translations from France. Does that mean that the authors' rights to which I should adhere must be the French version? If so, where can I find the information?

Is there now a European authors' rights regulation that covers all countries in the EU? If so, where can I find this information?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
France - ATLF May 21, 2008

In France you can contact the ATLF - which is the Association des traducteurs littéraires.
They have lots of material regarding rights issues in France.

They have a website www.atlf.org

Celia Recarey
Celia Recarey  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
WIPO May 21, 2008

Hi exley,

You can find information about the international regulation of intellectual property on WIPO's website, here: http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/

Good luck with your project

Celia

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 24, 2008

Thanks muchly for for the information. The WIPO site is just what I need now and the ATLF will certainly come in handy in the future.

Perhaps they should both be mentioned somewhere on this site as handy references but a quick look did not reveal a 'useful links' tab. Perhaps it would be too much considering all the languages involved.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

self publishing a translation project: authors' rights

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »