https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/10591-pros%5C_opinions_on_new_freelance_website.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Pros\' opinions on new freelance website
Thread poster: Todd Field
Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Portuguese to English
Apr 29, 2003

Dear fellow translators,

Because proz.com has such a wealth of seasoned professionals with great advice, we are asking for your opinions on our newly published website, which may be found at:

www.translation-wise.com

Any ideas, constructive criticism, or other guidance would be very much appreciated.

(Please note that we are not posting
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

Because proz.com has such a wealth of seasoned professionals with great advice, we are asking for your opinions on our newly published website, which may be found at:

www.translation-wise.com

Any ideas, constructive criticism, or other guidance would be very much appreciated.

(Please note that we are not posting this as a \"plug\" for ourselves, but rather as a means of soliciting opinions of other pros. If this message does not get posted by the board monitor, we completely understand.)

Many thanks in advance,

Todd and Monica Field

Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brasilian or European Portuguese? Apr 29, 2003

Hello,

First of all thanks for asking our advice. I have had a look at you website and I think you should add what sort of Portuguese do you translate from. Do you mean European or Brasilian Portuguese? I think this is quite important as these languages are not exactly the same at all and translating from European Portuguese into English is not the same as translating from Brasilian Portuguese. I had a look at the translation samples and it seems you translate from Brasili
... See more
Hello,

First of all thanks for asking our advice. I have had a look at you website and I think you should add what sort of Portuguese do you translate from. Do you mean European or Brasilian Portuguese? I think this is quite important as these languages are not exactly the same at all and translating from European Portuguese into English is not the same as translating from Brasilian Portuguese. I had a look at the translation samples and it seems you translate from Brasilian Portuguese into English...

All the best

Mónica

Collapse

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not trying to abuse the system... Apr 29, 2003

Dear Tayfun,

As stated in the original posting, if you feel this is inappropriate, please feel free to pull the message altogether. No hard feelings if you do.

We are definitely not here to self-promote. Rather, we are truly curious as to the opinions of other Proz.com members about our website.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
While moderators are asleep :) Apr 29, 2003

No criticism, very good site, excellent design and navigation, very professional and convincing.

Congrats, wish mine was so good...

[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:06
SITE FOUNDER
I cleared the message, Tayfun Apr 29, 2003

I cleared this posting because I took it to be more a question about a website than a form of self-promotion. (After all, there are better ways to self-promote!)

Don\'t be shy, Todd and Monika. Congratulations on your website.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats!! Apr 30, 2003

Your page looks great!! I know you have been working hard and I wish the best of luck at your new site!!

Haydée
[addsig]

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:06
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
A little bit of criticism Apr 30, 2003

As usability across a range of browsers is very inportant, you might consider changing some of the fonts for bigger/clearer ones. For example, I have problems reading the \"Our Strengths\" part at http://www.translation-wise.com/copy1_004.htm

Otherwise it looks fine!

Cheers,

Oleg

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:06
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Oleg Apr 30, 2003

The system I\'m writing this on has fairly standard font settings, but most of the text is borderline legible. (I didn\'t dare look on my other system, which is set to a higher resolution.)

Tayfun: if you don\'t want other members to start discussing their sites here, why not simply suggest that in future, feedback should be provided by private e-mail? Personally, I think other people with sites of their own are also likely to benefit from the comments.

... See more
The system I\'m writing this on has fairly standard font settings, but most of the text is borderline legible. (I didn\'t dare look on my other system, which is set to a higher resolution.)

Tayfun: if you don\'t want other members to start discussing their sites here, why not simply suggest that in future, feedback should be provided by private e-mail? Personally, I think other people with sites of their own are also likely to benefit from the comments.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: MarcPrior on 2003-04-30 08:40]
Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
maybe a special forum could be created for this Apr 30, 2003

Hello,

I quite agree that it is useful to have other opinions. So maybe a special forum could be created for this purpose.

Also, I still think you should clearly point out the Portuguese (European or Brasilian) you work from. I am sorry, but I keep on thinking these are not the same .

All the best

Mónica

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
I agree with Marc and Oleg Apr 30, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-04-30 07:02, MarcPrior wrote:

I also find the text a little small - maybe it\'s my bad eyesight though! Otherwise, well done! I think it\'s great.

Sheila

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
type of Spanish and English, who are the translators? Apr 30, 2003

Hello

I would as well indicate the type of Spanish you offer (country) and the type of English (country) (in your pull down menu).

Regards,

Kurt

PS:

For me it is always difficult to believe that a person does have 2 native languages... (or the level of a native speaker for two languages) you work in tandem and you offer 3 native languages... From your website it is not clear who translates, t
... See more
Hello

I would as well indicate the type of Spanish you offer (country) and the type of English (country) (in your pull down menu).

Regards,

Kurt

PS:

For me it is always difficult to believe that a person does have 2 native languages... (or the level of a native speaker for two languages) you work in tandem and you offer 3 native languages... From your website it is not clear who translates, the two persons on the photo, somebody else...? You don\'t indicate for which languages you are accredited by professional associations and the type of membership...
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Second Marc, Oleg, and Kurt and Apr 30, 2003

all the congratulations.

(Would avoid using italics for entire paragraphs, make the font a little larger, and widen the margins.)

I also find your initial request reasonable and courteous (and enjoyed testing my kitchen Spanish and Portuguese).

Thank you for your expression of trust in the group.

Terry

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Fonts Apr 30, 2003

You have to change the choosen fonts for the headers and links, above all on the homepage, because it appears all blurred on the screen.

Also the text fonts are too small; I understand the idea: you wanted all on one screen, but, you know, nobody minds to scroll down a webpage.

Otherwise, the lay out is fine and I like the way the window changes, sides sliding.

Very good idea for the text samplings too.

Lien

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the excellent input May 4, 2003

Dear colleagues,

We wish to thank you for your input. Great proof, once again, that the freelance translation world is populated by a wealth of friendly, accessible, and intelligent folks!

We made some changes to the site after reading your suggestions. Thanks to all of you we feel we have made some great progress.

Thanks once again to everyone!

Todd and Monica

L. Russell Jones
L. Russell Jones  Identity Verified
German to English
search engine placement May 5, 2003

I checked the source code of your index page (main_001.htm) and saw Main Page.

This tag is a wonderful chance to increase search engine placement by entering relevant keywords. On my website, the title tag contains \"German English technical translation & proofreading services.\"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pros\' opinions on new freelance website

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »