Anyone know of translation companies in Atlanta doing in-house?
Thread poster: kboyette
kboyette
United States
Local time: 21:44
Japanese to English
Jun 4, 2008

Hello members,

From what I can tell, the few Atlanta based translation companies that exist all work through freelancers. I've just gotten an MA in Japanese and I'd like to work in-house to gain some valuable experience for Japanese to English, but it looks like I won't be able to do that locally. Would anyone here have any knowledge of the Atlanta scene?

Regards,

Karen Boyette

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably unlikely Jun 4, 2008

Hey Karen,

I don't know what the US in-house translation scene is like at all, but if it like in the UK, you'd probably have to go to the country of your source language to get an in-house position. I was looking around for some in-house work in the UK, couldn't find any, then set off to Barcelona and found a job quite quickly. Now I'm working for another agency, much better hours and salary. IMHO I think companies are generally outsourcing now, with very few in-house positions going. Maybe things are different for your combination, let's wait for others to respond.

Good luck, and I hope you find something. I know how frustrating it can be.

Paul

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:44
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The Blue Board turns up 26 outsourcers in Atlanta Jun 4, 2008

You might start your inquiries there.

kboyette
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Paul's probably right Jun 6, 2008

Thanks for those responses. I'll do some checking, but I'm sure I'll be freelancing if I want to translate in Atlanta.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Paul - that is the general situation in the US Jun 6, 2008

In my combination and direction, I have only seen two in-house jobs advertised in the United States ever (I've been doing this since 1997). I initially worked in-house in Germany before returning to the US and taking up a freelance career. Is working in Japan a possibility?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know of translation companies in Atlanta doing in-house?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search