Applying to outsourcers
Thread poster: Sara Senft

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2008

I've applied to six outsourcers taking applications. What do I do know?

So far, all my applications are listed as 'pending.' When/How will I know if my applications are approved? If they are approved, what do I do next?

How long does it take to get a response either way?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:59
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the outsourcer - but also on your application Jun 25, 2008

Hi Sara,
So far, all my applications are listed as 'pending.' When/How will I know if my applications are approved?

You will get a notification.

If they are approved, what do I do next?

Unless the outsourcer responds with detailed instructions, you may want to contact them.

No fixed period. From my own experience as an outsourcer, the more specific your application is, and the closer you have responded to the outsourcer's specifications (if any), the more likely a quick reaction will be forthcoming.

HTH, Ralf

Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
I sent off my CV to 18 outsourcers yesterday Jun 26, 2008

I got one reply today, requiring filling in the application form.

Wish you good luck

Jack

Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for Ralf's suggestion Jun 26, 2008

Ralf, your suggestion will be a useful guideline for newcomers to this website like me.

Many thanks,

Jack

[/quote]
No fixed period. From my own experience as an outsourcer, the more specific your application is, and the closer you have responded to the outsourcer's specifications (if any), the more likely a quick reaction will be forthcoming.

HTH, Ralf [/quote]

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
English to Polish
Even a year Jun 26, 2008

Srta Sara wrote:

When I was starting I was sending a lot of applications too. Some weren't replying at all, and after a year or even longer I was getting emails from them with a job offer.

So my advice is - advertise yourself as much as it's possible, but don't expect everyone to reply immediatelly. Some won't at all, some will acknowledge they got your email and that would be last time you'd hear from them, but some will contact you sooner or later for real work
To add to a positive note - some of those, who contacted me after months, are my regular clients now

Anni

Ioana Isai  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:59
Romanian to German
+ ...
Applying to outsourcers Jun 28, 2008

Anna,

could you tell me what did you write in your application? Most of all I am interested to know if the outsourcers were translation agencies and if you addressed each of them separately or just sent out a mass-email? I am on the verge of applying, too, but after reading some postings in the proz.com forum, I have my doubts and I want to do everything as professional as possible.

R,
Ioana

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:59
English to Polish
Very specific Jun 29, 2008

My applications (those sent by email, not filled on websites) were very specific. Since I mostly translate manuals of home equipment, I was targeting agencies specializing in such, introducing myself and explaining why my language pair could be useful to them.
All that plus of course rates, payment methods, other fields I work in, etc.

I was also attaching a sample of a translation and my current CV.

Anni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying to outsourcers

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs