Mobile menu

Benefits of personal mail account (Paid)
Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:21
English to Arabic
Jul 10, 2008

Peace be upon you all,
Days ago I had an adware on my PC which used my contact list on yahoo free mail and sent spams to all my contacts including translation companies,
I used McAfee antivirus, and I was considering upgrading my yahoo mail to paid one, is it worth trying or the ordinary free mail is enough,
I read in an article for freelance translators that any translation company or even a direct client won't trust job application mail offer sent from yahoo free mail (any free mail actually)
is this true, and should I buy my own mail and start my small web page or it is not that complication?
B.R
Rayyan

Direct link Reply with quote

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:21
Member (2004)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
a few pointers... Jul 13, 2008

I use gmail (free) and have never had anyone (agency or direct client) view me any different because I use a "free" email account, why this snobishness? Frankly I wouldn't want to work with anyone that thinks like this anyway!

Your adaware experience is a bad one, keep your antivirus upto date, beware of what sites you visit and especially what you click on and you will be fine.

Regards

Mihailo

ps I have my own domain (email address) but still use gmail.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mihailolja Jul 13, 2008

Thanks Mihailolja, but I believe you didn't get my point, If I were the customer and someone sent me a mail from a free mail, saying I am a translator, there should be some doubt that he is amateur, but If I use my own domain this makes me a bit serious, I hope you get my point.

Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
French to English
+ ...
Depends Jul 17, 2008

I have never had any problems. I decided to switch to a free email account because I was having far too many problems with my paid one. If you believe that it will hinder you it will. That's what you will attract. I have never even thought about it because it doesn't impact on the quality of my work.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks aalana Jul 18, 2008

I got your point, but there is one last thing which is the ability to download your mail to your pocket pc or any mobile phone via outlook, this is a feature you won't be able to use it with the free mail, do you have any suggestion for that?

FarkasAndras
Local time: 06:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
downloading email without opening a browser window Jul 18, 2008

... is called POP.
Yahoo does not give POP access for free, but others (like gmail if I'm not mistaken) do.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Nice note Farkas Jul 19, 2008

Mentioning gmail I found nice feature there which is to forward any mail sent to your gmail account to another mail, actually I am looking for this option in Yahoo if I found it it will be great, I will forward any mail coming to my yahoo mail to Gmail account then I use the POP feature in gmail to download all the mails from both the accounts
any information will help?
B.R
Rayyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Benefits of personal mail account (Paid)

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs