Making a portfolio
Thread poster: kjmcguire
kjmcguire
kjmcguire
Netherlands
Local time: 04:09
Chinese to English
Jul 19, 2008

I think there have been a few threads on the subject of portfolios before but I haven't found one that answers the question I'm about to ask.

If you're a relative newcomer to translation or cannot post examples of translations you've done due to copyright or legal reasons, are you allowed to post translations of news articles as example translations in your portfolio? I translate newspaper articles as a way to maintain and improve my translation skills (especially as I am not curren
... See more
I think there have been a few threads on the subject of portfolios before but I haven't found one that answers the question I'm about to ask.

If you're a relative newcomer to translation or cannot post examples of translations you've done due to copyright or legal reasons, are you allowed to post translations of news articles as example translations in your portfolio? I translate newspaper articles as a way to maintain and improve my translation skills (especially as I am not currently doing any translation work) but never publish them online as I realise that there are copyright issues involved.

I've seen that some members have used Wikipedia articles as example translations in their portfolios. While Wikipedia articles are a good option, I find newspaper articles are a great resource for those who are still honing their skills, given the variety of topics and registers used. Could translated articles be used in a portfolio if I acknowledge the original author(s) and source?
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
I don't see any problem Jul 20, 2008

Actually I don't see any problem in that, you are right to post the best of your translation in the portofolio whether it was from a news paper or anywhere else as long as you are aware of the copywright issue,
Goog luck for your career.

kjmcguire
kjmcguire
Netherlands
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 22, 2008

Thanks mahrayyan.

I think you might be right but copyright issues (especially on the Internet) are never very clear-cut. Maybe I should just continue to use newspaper articles solely for practice and leave them off the portfolio to be on the safe side...

Does anyone else have any comments or information regarding copyright issues of online news articles?

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would be (somewhat) cautious Jul 22, 2008

whilst there's nothing to stop you from using newspaper articles for your own purposes, i.e. practice, I would be wary of using them as part of a published portfolio. However, there is another option: why don't you contact the newspaper (via e-mail, only takes a minute) and ask them if it would be OK? The worst they can say is "NO. Those are copyrighted. Permission denied." Otherwise they might just say fine, go ahead, as long as you to acknowledge the source.

In short, I would seek
... See more
whilst there's nothing to stop you from using newspaper articles for your own purposes, i.e. practice, I would be wary of using them as part of a published portfolio. However, there is another option: why don't you contact the newspaper (via e-mail, only takes a minute) and ask them if it would be OK? The worst they can say is "NO. Those are copyrighted. Permission denied." Otherwise they might just say fine, go ahead, as long as you to acknowledge the source.

In short, I would seek permission. If there's ever any comeback, you at least have an e-mail reply which said it was OK to do it.
Collapse

Daniel Hill (X)
Daniel Hill (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:09
French to English
Followup question on that note Sep 7, 2008

I had a similar question when I came to the site this morning, as I have assisted on translation before, as well as translated articles not for publication as part of my tutoring. In either case, I don't know if it would be OK to include these in a portfolio.

On that same note, if you're truly a beginner like me, what materials should you use to show you're up to the task? I doubt if clients will just take your word for it that you're capable..?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making a portfolio

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »