Mobile menu

Relative "Newbie" looking for some advice.
Thread poster: barrycreed
barrycreed
Ireland
Local time: 14:27
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2008

Hello all,

I've only just registered on this site and am delighted to find a huge amount of excellent information related to translators and interpreters etc.

I would like to delve into the area of translating (again). I worked as a technical writer/technical translator for 2 years, (from 2002-2004) translating and proof reading software manuals from Italian to English.

99% of my work was done using Microsoft Word.

Since then I have done some minor translations from French to English and from Italian to English.

So, I guess I am out of the loop a little bit, but would love to dip my toes back into the area of translating again. I am aware that my language and translating skills may be a little rusty, so would like to attempt some small translations at first.

Can any of you point me in the right direction here? What essential tools/software should I have? What should I charge? Should I just dive into the jobs section and start clicking?

Thanks, and looking forward to your advice,

Barry

Direct link Reply with quote

barrycreed
Ireland
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
info Jul 29, 2008

I've just looked around and found some useful info.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:27
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Check the info that's on the site Jul 29, 2008

I posted a similar message to yours when I first joined, and many others do too. The site has so much information on it, that's hard to know where to begin. The FAQ document (on the toolbar under "About") deals with the question of what to charge. There is a forum on CAT tools and other software. There is also a "user manual" which does not seem to be listed anywhere, but you can find it under "Translation articles" ("Community" on the toolbar) if you look hard. (Not "users" but "user.")

I think if you read the Forums for a week or so, and sign up to receive job offers in your language pairs, a lot of your questions will be answered--or at least they'll be more focused.

Good luck!
Susan

PS - Here's one of my posts on CAT tools that drew a lot of interesting replies:

http://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/100096-why_do_i_need_a_cat_tool.html

[Edited at 2008-07-30 11:26]

[Edited at 2008-07-30 11:30]

barrycreed
Ireland
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 30, 2008

thanks for the replies. I should have done some more research on the site before posting...

Barry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relative "Newbie" looking for some advice.

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs