Thread poster: domilee

domilee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
English to French
+ ...
Aug 11, 2008

Hello all,

first I want to thank all of you who take the time to answer all the questions that we beginners have, it is so helpful.

I looked around but haven't seen the answer to my question: what exactly do you need to do to establish yourself as a freelance translator in California?

I am moving from France to the US because of my partner's job transfer; I am French but a US resident (green card). From what i understand, if you use your own name to do business, all you need (to work as a sole proprietor) is a permit/licence from your city, and you can use your Social Security Number as your EIN. And then you need to take care of your taxes. Anything else?

Now, the move will be in October, and having completed my PhD in June, I am eager to start, especially since I am sure it takes time to get things going. I do have a billing address in the US (my in-laws'. I have a credit card, etc.). So for these next 2/3 months, can i start working using that address (I would get the permit as soon as I am there, maybe i won't get any jobs until then)? Or should I use my French address until I really have moved, but in that case, do i have to register here in France (I suppose it's quite complicated but I will look in the forum to see)?

Last but not least, I have read a little bit about how difficult it is to make both ends meet for some translators in the US; a few tips have been given but if anybody working there has more, I would be very thankful.

Thank you for your time
Domitille

[Edited at 2008-08-11 21:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Homework Aug 12, 2008

Dear Domitille,

Welcome to the US and all the best of luck!

How to start a business is well described on government pages. Easily understandable, so nobody should have to create a summary here.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/resources.htm

When reading "a little bit", this might be the best point to start. If you do your homework properly, you won't have any problems to "make ends meet".

United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 13, 2008

Thank you Nicole for the answer and the helpful link!

Hengky Chiok  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No, you don't need a special permit/license as a sole prop. Aug 15, 2008

Domitille Lee wrote:

Hello all,

first I want to thank all of you who take the time to answer all the questions that we beginners have, it is so helpful.

I looked around but haven't seen the answer to my question: what exactly do you need to do to establish yourself as a freelance translator in California?

I am moving from France to the US because of my partner's job transfer; I am French but a US resident (green card). From what i understand, if you use your own name to do business, all you need (to work as a sole proprietor) is a permit/licence from your city, and you can use your Social Security Number as your EIN. And then you need to take care of your taxes. Anything else?

AFAIK, there is no permit needed for a sole prop working from home, unless you want to have an office with a business name. You can use your name as a business name without registering it. The banks recognize that. You can open a business account with your personal name.

If you would like to use a business name, or DBA (doing business as) then you have to register for a fictitious business name and post the name for several weeks on a newspaper. But that's another case.

So, no permit/license.

I notice that you went to UCI. I live about an hour away from UCI, in SGV area. Welcome back to sunny Cal then!

Sola Gratia, Soli DEO Gloria.

Hengky

United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 20, 2008

thank you Chioks for your helpful answer.
Well I did get an M.A from UCI, but this time I'm moving to the Bay area, so we'll see about the sun!! Have a good day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established in California

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs