How long a test from agencies/clients should be?
Thread poster: Alexandra Staneva
Alexandra Staneva
Alexandra Staneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:53
Member (2008)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2008

Dear colleagues,
Upon submitting an application to an agency I have received a test of 10 pages + 25 min video to translate. It seems to me that some agencies are trying to translate their projects for free by sending these as a test to applicants. Have you had such experience with agencies/clients? Please, share your thoughts..Thank you,
Alexandra Staneva

Liv Fridtjofsen
Liv Fridtjofsen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:53
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I have the same feeling Aug 31, 2008

I got tired of tests that does not lead to much. I now tell them that I am of course willing to do a test and I want them to send the test back to me with the proofreader's comments. Then they do not seem to be that keen on testing. ....

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Just give them a quote for the job Aug 31, 2008

Since 10 pages + 25 mins. video has nothing to do with a test, I suggest that you quote your normal rate for the job. They can take your quote or leave it.

By general consensus, a test is supposed to be around 200 words.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Far too long Aug 31, 2008

A test of that length and complexity is far too long and, in my view, unacceptable.
Offer to do 300 words at most, if you have the time and the inclination.
The subject of unpaid tests is frequently discussed in these forums. The general consensus seems to be that they rarely lead to actual jobs, but I must say that I now have two good clients (who first contacted me through Proz) for whom I did short tests and who now send me lots of work and pay me reasonably and on time, so occasi
... See more
A test of that length and complexity is far too long and, in my view, unacceptable.
Offer to do 300 words at most, if you have the time and the inclination.
The subject of unpaid tests is frequently discussed in these forums. The general consensus seems to be that they rarely lead to actual jobs, but I must say that I now have two good clients (who first contacted me through Proz) for whom I did short tests and who now send me lots of work and pay me reasonably and on time, so occasionally tests can pay off.
This one doesn't sound too promising to me.
Best wishes,
Jenny.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:53
English to German
+ ...
As long as possible Aug 31, 2008

But it should be paid at least at your standard rate because it is very likely to be more complicated than your average texts.

Paul Kachur
Paul Kachur
Germany
German to English
+ ...
first a scoop, then a bucket Aug 31, 2008

I understand them sending out a standard test paragraph or two chocked full of specialst terminology to see if you can cope with it and how quickly you can turn it around.

But if they ask for more than a page's worth, then it should be a in the form of a *paid* test translation, just as you would buy a scoop of ice cream from the shop before fetching home a whole bucket for the family.

[Edited at 2008-08-31 13:25]

Laís Dalsoquio (X)
Laís Dalsoquio (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It happened to me Sep 1, 2008

Hello all,
I sent my cv to get a project and the agency answered sending me a 3 page test. I asked another tranlators I know and they tell me the same thing you say: it's too large!
I agree with you that some agencies want to translate their projects for free.

Alexandra Staneva
Alexandra Staneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:53
Member (2008)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Sep 1, 2008

Thank you all for the thoughts you shared.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long a test from agencies/clients should be?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »