Mobile menu

Moving to US: SSN problem
Thread poster: xxxIvy
English to Indonesian
+ ...
May 31, 2003

Hi everyone,
I have been a translator for quite a while, but now I move to US for marriage. I just took a translation job (through email--like when I was in my country), but the company asks for my SSN. The problem is I can not use my SSN for work (or tax purpose) yet since I haven't got work authorization from the ins (still in the process). Is there anyone who have some idea how to solve this case?

Direct link Reply with quote

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Don't work yet! May 31, 2003

Don't compromise your status as a new resident. Wait until you are legally allowed to work or you may have serious problems with the US government. It took quite awhile for my husband (a French citizen, I am American) to be able to work in the US back in the 70's, I don't know how long it takes now, but I imagine that it isn't very much faster. Be patient, don't risk it!

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 18:06
German to English
+ ...
SSN for work in the USA May 31, 2003

I fully subscribe to what Gayle says: do not work until you get a SSN that clearly allows you to do so (there are various SSN including one which indicates "not for work" in which case you ought to abide by the rules). Good luck and welcome to the USA.

Direct link Reply with quote
Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Danish to English
+ ...
work in the US May 31, 2003

Working without the SSN is illegal. Payments given to you are listed with the IRS for tax purposes by the company who pays you. The IRS will know if you earn any money. If you don't have a SSN, you are in trouble. In some cases, a non-citizen or person who does not have a work permit will be deported. I suggest, if you have accepted work that you send it back or give it to someone you know who already is registered with a SSN.

Direct link Reply with quote
Devis Kolonja  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
English to Albanian
+ ...
The SSN problem Jun 1, 2003

To my knowledge the current procedure to marry an American citizen is as follows:
Get married
Submit documents to INS
Wait for an interview
Wait for temporary Green Card (2 years)
Possible second interview after 2 years are up.
Permanent Green Card after the second interview (if any)
Wait 3 years to become an American citizen.

If you've already gotten the temporary Green Card then you are all set, you do not need to wait for an employment authorization from the INS (I still use the old name.. the new one doesn't sound as friendly)
If that is not the case let the company know that you cannot legally work in the US because your status is not cleared with the INS. Suggest to the company that payment can be made to your bank account in Indonesia if still active, and that way you can deal with Indonesian taxes and the company employs you as a foreign freelancer. Technically the company is paying you for a service and you are not employed by them. This is a business to business transaction.

Direct link Reply with quote

Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ivy: Work authorization Jun 2, 2003

After the wedding, the day after if you are so inclined, you may file with the INS Form I-485 (Petition for Adjustment of Status)applying for permanent resident status based on your marriage to an American citizen. At the same time, or at any time thereafter, you may also file Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). The INS has to decide within 90 days of the application. "If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD [Employment Authorization Document] application ... you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office. You must bring proof of identity and any notices that you have received from the INS in connection with your application for employment authorization." I am putting quotation marks because I am copying the text from the instructions to fill Form I-765.

I strongly concur with the other colleagues that advised you not to work until you get work authorization from the INS.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to US: SSN problem

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs