Thread poster: kliss
kliss
kliss
Local time: 00:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

Dear all,

Several clients have approached me recently about translating documents (birth certificates, degrees, etc.) and everyone requested certification. Now, I have DipTrans qualification from IoL, UK, but never translated official documents like that in this country (UK), so have no idea what the requirements are: a simple clause in the end (I, such and such, translated such and such to the best of my knowledge, perhaps?) or a stamp like in Australia? or something else?
<
... See more
Dear all,

Several clients have approached me recently about translating documents (birth certificates, degrees, etc.) and everyone requested certification. Now, I have DipTrans qualification from IoL, UK, but never translated official documents like that in this country (UK), so have no idea what the requirements are: a simple clause in the end (I, such and such, translated such and such to the best of my knowledge, perhaps?) or a stamp like in Australia? or something else?

Also, are there any standard rates for the translation of the above?

All information would be greately appreciated.
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Certifying translations Sep 18, 2008

The problem we have in the UK is that there is no formal system of certification - we don't, for example, have 'sworn' translators as other jurisdictions do.

Most translators therefore 'self-certify' i.e. you produce a certificate on your letterhead that states your:

- name / trading name (if you have one)
- qualifications
- memberships of professional bodies
and
- a declaration that the translation is a true and faithful rendering of the origina
... See more
The problem we have in the UK is that there is no formal system of certification - we don't, for example, have 'sworn' translators as other jurisdictions do.

Most translators therefore 'self-certify' i.e. you produce a certificate on your letterhead that states your:

- name / trading name (if you have one)
- qualifications
- memberships of professional bodies
and
- a declaration that the translation is a true and faithful rendering of the original and has been done to the best of your ability as a professional translator, or words to that effect.

You add a reference to the original and translated documents to identify them, date and sign it and submit it with the translation. If you are an ITI member you can get a seal from them - it doesn't carry any legal weight but does make it look more official!

If necessary you can go one step further and go to a notary public, who will confirm that you are who you say you are but is not necessarily in a position to confirm the quality of your translation.

Some people make a small charge for producing the certificate, others don't. If you need to have it notarised, however, you will need to check the notary's charge and pass it on to your client as it can be quite expensive, plus you might want to think about charging for the time it takes you to go to his or her office and back.

Hope this is of some help.

Best,

Karen
Collapse

kliss
kliss
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Providing certified translations in the UK + rates Sep 18, 2008

Thanks a lot for your reply, Karen! That's exactly what I needed to know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Providing certified translations in the UK + rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »