Thread poster: andresgran

andresgran  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

Hi everybody,

I am a free member and I want to upgrade to full membership. Could you tell me what I should do, once a full member, to have everythig going, and get enough work to be able to work in it full time?

I'd appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

my e-mail is: andresgran@hotmail.com

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
It will take time Sep 23, 2008

Welcome, Andres!

I'm still rather new to freelance translating. Even so, I can suggest a few things.

It will take time. Just like in other businesses, there isn't such a thing as an overnight success.

What's your specialty? Whatever it is, focus on getting work in that area. One of my specialties is Spanish to English immigration law translations. That said, one of my strategies is contact law offices that work/specialize in immigration.

When deciding if you will accept or decline a project, consider more than the amount of money you would earn. I've learned that the hard way.

If you are working on an urgent project and it's split among several translators, underestimate how much you can do by the deadline. I learned this the hard way, too.

I hope your efforts pay off well!

--Señorita Sara (that's what my students call me; I also tutor ESL children)

andresgran wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am a free member and I want to upgrade to full membership. Could you tell me what I should do, once a full member, to have everythig going, and get enough work to be able to work in it full time?

I'd appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

my e-mail is: andresgran@hotmail.com

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
Learn from others Sep 23, 2008

You can learn from others who have already put in some time and effort by reading as many of these articles as possible:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Business-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/Getting-Established/

Along with older forum posts on this matter, these articles are perhaps the best advice you can get.

[Edited at 2008-09-23 17:09]

Sonja Kroll  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, Sep 23, 2008

and I did profit from the lecture of the past quick polls and, if the question was interesting, the related discussions.
There are some nasty lessons, I can confirm that, not having been a freelancer for long myself. But if I got it going, you will as well. The more you enjoy it, the better.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:34
a start... Sep 23, 2008

Proz is great, but don't think paying for a year's membership will mean you're going to get lots and lots of work.
Think of it like being in a phonebook for translators, but that you're splashing out on a large boxed ad so that you stand out more.
Like the others have said, there are countless threads and articles here about getting started, so why not go and check them out

Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Think about joining Asetrad (Asociación Española de Traductores, Correctores e Intérpretes) Sep 24, 2008

andresgran wrote:

Hi everybody,

The Asetrad website has plenty of good practical advice for translators starting out in Spain. This page is particularly useful: http://www.asetrad.org/index.asp?op=3

Hope this helps.

Andrew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs