Is there a room for "literatory" translators?
Thread poster: Jaroslav Tavgen
Jaroslav Tavgen
Jaroslav Tavgen
Estonia
Local time: 02:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 29, 2008

I am often told, that I create very good literatory translation, but I lack specificness. Even in this post there can be lots of grammar mistakes, because I don´t care(of course, I do, when I translate for money)? Is there a room for paid literatory translations? What should I do, on what should I specify and where to search for job and contracts?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:10
Spanish
+ ...
Are you being sarcastic? Sep 29, 2008

Is this a joke or are you serious?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
That spells trouble Sep 29, 2008

slavaentp wrote:

Yes, that room is at the end of the corridor, on the left, but 'literatory" is spelled "lavatory" on its door. Or perhaps I misunderstood your request...

Gianfranco

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 01:10
German to Polish
+ ...
I've learnt something new again Sep 29, 2008

gianfranco wrote:

Yes, that room is at the end of the corridor, on the left, but 'literatory" is spelled "lavatory" on its door.

slavaentp wrote:
Even in this post there can be lots of grammar mistakes, because I don´t care(of course, I do, when I translate for money)?

Good one, thanks for the recipe for creative writing.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Start caring Sep 29, 2008

slavaentp wrote:

I am often told, that I create very good literatory translation, but I lack specificness. Even in this post there can be lots of grammar mistakes, because I don´t care(of course, I do, when I translate for money)? Is there a room for paid literatory translations? What should I do, on what should I specify and where to search for job and contracts?

I think what everyone here is trying to suggest in various roundabout ways is:
1) please don't translate into English - stick to your native or near-native language, and 2) please start caring about the mistakes you make.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:10
English to Russian
+ ...
You should care! Sep 30, 2008

Potential clients may be reading your post!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:10
French to Spanish
+ ...
"literatory" Sep 30, 2008

Don't know that word.
As a translator, talking to other translators, could you please translate?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Actually... Sep 30, 2008

...going to the "lavatory" for "literatory" purposes may be very "liberatory"

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:10
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Try the Russian language forum Sep 30, 2008

Hi slavaentp,

I am assuming that your literary translations skills are for translating into Russian.

I therefore recommend asking your question in the Russian language forum, where I'm sure proz colleagues will have more detailed and helpful advice than you will find here on how to develop as a literary translator.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't care? Sep 30, 2008

I personally can't reconcile being a translator with not caring about grammar at any time. I can't see how you could not care about language and want to make a living with it.

Sure, many of us make a mistake or two when writing in fora and such, but caring so little as to write poor English...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Shocked Sep 30, 2008

I am glad that mostly all contributors of this thread try to reason the poster rather than giving him/her recommendations on how to "make it". However, there is another thread in which most contributo... See more
I am glad that mostly all contributors of this thread try to reason the poster rather than giving him/her recommendations on how to "make it". However, there is another thread in which most contributors actually encourage him/her:

http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/116710-how_to_establish_yourself_having_rare_specialty.html

I can't believe it. On the one hand, the community thinks little of people who see freelance translation as a get-rich-quick-scheme and are trying to raise awareness on this subject. But on the other hand, they readily give advice to people who clearly seem to just be interested in the money and not at all in offering a quality service. I am really amazed at this.

Also note that in this thread, the "specialization" enquired about is "literatory" translation, but in the other thread, the same person asks about technical translation. What the %#$&?

[Edited at 2008-09-30 19:27]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:10
Spanish
+ ...
Careful Viktoria Sep 30, 2008

Some people could point their fingers at you for not providing an "immediate and unanimous support" to a colleague.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Don't you worry Sep 30, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Some people could point their fingers at you for not providing an "immediate and unanimous support" to a colleague.

I am aware - that has already happened in the past. I have a thick skin!

Besides, this is a forum. I decide whether I feel like helping, criticizing, etc. I am not aware of any forum rule that prohibits me from doing so. But I feel it is in part my responsibility to educate about important issues. It may not be the subject of this thread, but I find it very pertinent in this thread. It's a good example. As for those who want to criticize me for it - by all means, knock yourselves out!

[Edited at 2008-09-30 22:01]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
German to English
Also,..... Oct 1, 2008

.....why is "literatory" in inverted commas?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »