translator in UK
Thread poster: David M
David M
David M
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
English to Polish
Oct 27, 2008

I currently reside in the UK where I’m going to work as a translator. I got a bachelor degree in translation, I did a few translations on the side before I moved here and I’m proficient in CAT tools. To begin with I’d like to translate into my mother tongue. I’d like to know if I have to register my activity here and on what basis I could work with translation agencies or individual clients. I’m looking for the most economical solution.

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 08:44
German to English
Here or 'here'? Oct 27, 2008

Do you mean here at proz or 'here' in the UK?

David M
David M
United Kingdom
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
in the UK Oct 27, 2008

In the UK. Sorry I wasn't precise enough

canaria
canaria
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
You don't need to register as a translator Oct 27, 2008

David M wrote:

I currently reside in the UK where I’m going to work as a translator. I got a bachelor degree in translation, I did a few translations on the side before I moved here and I’m proficient in CAT tools. To begin with I’d like to translate into my mother tongue. I’d like to know if I have to register my activity here and on what basis I could work with translation agencies or individual clients. I’m looking for the most economical solution.

However, you do need to register with the tax and social security authorities. And you should really only translate into your mother tongue. You may be able to get advice for starting out from the ITI (www.iti.org.uk).

As for working for agencies, you just need to contact them with your cv and see what happens. Can be a slow process.

Alexandra Salmon-Lefranc
Alexandra Salmon-Lefranc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
You need to register with the HMRC as self-employed (if you want to freelance) Oct 27, 2008

Hello David,

I am a French freelance translator based in Manchester (UK), so I hope my answer will be helpful.

If you want to work in the UK as self-employed (that is to say as an individual who operates a business or profession as a sole proprietor, partner in a partnership, independent contractor, or consultant), you need to register as self-employed with the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You can do your registration:... See more
Hello David,

I am a French freelance translator based in Manchester (UK), so I hope my answer will be helpful.

If you want to work in the UK as self-employed (that is to say as an individual who operates a business or profession as a sole proprietor, partner in a partnership, independent contractor, or consultant), you need to register as self-employed with the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You can do your registration:

- On-line at the following address: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm
- By phone: 0845 915 4515
- By post (you need to fill in a form): http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/se1.pdf

Once registered, you will have to pay your national insurance contributions and tax.
Also, this means that you will need to complete an annual Self Assessment Return.
More info here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/self-emp-part.htm

I hope this helps!
Best of luck with your projects!

Alexandra
Collapse

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's easy Oct 27, 2008

Just wanted to add that it's really very easy and quick to register, and you only have to pay a couple of pounds per week in national insurance once you've registered. The rest + taxes are paid later as a percentage of your earnings.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translator in UK

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »