Thread poster: wilhelmina

wilhelmina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 7, 2008

Hello translators,

I have a friend who does not know another language but is an excellent proofreader (She occasionally checks my work). She would like to moonlight as an editor, and we wonder whether similar sites as Proz exists for editors. Good ones like Proz, not just where they take your membership money and really don't have anything to offer in terms of job postings and networking. Hope anyone can help her with this request.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
One possibility Nov 7, 2008

She could try finding people via LinkedIn - there are dozens of groups there, who exchange info about a wide range of interests and work opportunities.

http://www.linkedin.com

[Edited at 2008-11-07 23:12]

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
SD PEN but nothing like ProZ Nov 8, 2008

wilhelmina wrote:
She would like to moonlight as an editor, and we wonder whether similar sites as Proz exists for editors. Good ones like Proz, not just where they take your membership money and really don't have anything to offer in terms of job postings and networking.

Wilhelmina:

I'm also an editor and really haven't found too much. When I lived in San Diego, I was a member of the San Diego Professional Editors Network

www.sdpen.com

They do have members living outside San Diego County, but only a few. However, the web site provides a glossary describing and differentiating the tasks done by editors, copy editors, proofreaders, etc., which is helpful, and it also has links to editors' web sites, which your friend might find useful to review.

I thought that there was a national-level organization, but when I search on "PEN," it takes me to an organization in Minnesota. That organization's web site has a page with a short list of resources:

http://www.pensite.org/links1.html

When I started out 15 years ago, I relied heavily on a book "Editorial Freelancing: A Practical Guide" by Trumbull Rogers.

With the advances in the Internet and electronic word-processing, large sections became passé, and it was revised. But even that material is now out of date. All the same, I recommend this book, because it also talks about the various tasks one can perform, and getting clarity about that helped me to target a niche market.

fwiw in Tucson (another city where I lived), people tried to get a network going, but I don't think it ever got off the ground. I wonder why networking among editors is difficult, whereas everything has blossomed among translators here at ProZ????

Anyway, hope others can provide more information!

Best,
Patricia

[Edited at 2008-11-08 17:59]

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 8, 2008

Thank you Tom and Patricia for taking the time to help with this. I figured there probably wasn't such a great resource as Proz, but at least you have helped with providing some starting points. I will pass on the information.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Another resource Nov 9, 2008

This is one of my favorite work-related websites: http://www.sfep.org.uk/

I think that the best thing for your friend to do under the circumstances is to start with a free ProZ profile and only check reviewing as the service offered. I also don't know of any site like this one particularly geared at reviewers. There are many broader job sites - I wouldn't touch most of them with a 39.5-foot pole (one of the reasons is you often have to take part in an open auction to get a job, which to me is entirely unprofessional).

All the best!

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Nov 9, 2008

Thank you Victoria for your resource. Also good suggestion "to start with a free ProZ.com profile and only check reviewing as the service offered." I had not thought about that since she is not a translator but I guess that there could be a demand for her services on Proz as well.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Addendum Nov 9, 2008

I just wanted to add that it may be a good idea to find out about all associations and certifying bodies, at home and abroad, that deal with reviewing and proofreading. It just occurred to me that most of these list jobs on their websites. In most cases, you either have to be a paying member or be certified to access the jobs (which can be tricky abroad, but I know that some organizations do certify people from abroad).

I think what your friend would need to do is go for a university certificate or degree (depending on how much she is willing to spend and how much time she is willing to invest) in a related field, which will open the doors for certification. Once your friend gets a foot in the door in a couple of organizations, she can start finding work opportunities, not to mention that she will have the credentials to go with it.

I just read a rate survey for editors in Canada, and these people seem to have much better revenues than us translators. Most of them invoice at least $60,000 per year, and some even make as much as $125,000 per year! If your friend has a knack for this, please, by all means, tell her to develop her skills and seek certification as soon as possible. It seems that editors are a much better respected bunch than translators (this may be due to the fact that not many people become professional editors just because they "can English" and want some pocket money, as opposed to translation).

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site like this for editors?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums