Working as a freelance translator in China (for non Chinese citizens)
Thread poster: guillaumimoso
guillaumimoso
Local time: 02:50
English to French
Nov 27, 2008

Dear all,

I'm currently working as a freelance translator in Singapore and would like to relocate to China. The problem is I'm not sure under what kind of company I can legally work there.
From what I've seen on Internet, there is a type of company called "Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise", which seems to fit my situation. However, there is a major obstacle: a paid-up capital of USD100,000 (!!), which is simply not feasible in my case.
Hence, I would like to know if any of you who will read my post have gone through the hurdles of administrative requirements to be able to stay and work as a freelance translator in China. Is there such a thing as a “sole proprietorship" for foreigners? (to my knowledge, this type of company doesn't require any capital investment).
In short, my capital is very limited and I would like to move to China and continue what I do now. I also heard about setting up a joint company with a Chinese national, but having a suspicious personality, I prefer to deal with everything on my own.

For info, I'm considering Beijing or Shanghai, if that is of any relevance to the subject.

Thank you for your precious input!
Guillaume

Direct link Reply with quote

lilianleelala  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
freelancer in China Nov 27, 2008

for Chinese natives, we just need to declare our "freelancer-ship", and there we are.

cuz we have to pay for our own insurance no matter what, and payments are usually after tax.

for foreigners, it would be a lot + complicated.

But gosh, u know how easy for you to find a job here?

Anyhow, u'd better prepare all the paper works before u get here, and find a job on line, or at least a part time job to get the visa.

Regarding Beijing or Shanghai, both work.

In Beijing, strong cultural atmosphere, u should find a way to fit urself in, then u'll love it.

In Shanghai, people loves u no matter what, as long as u'r a foreigner.

[Edited at 2008-11-27 20:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-27 20:01 GMT]

guillaumimoso
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Freelance translating in China Nov 27, 2008

Hi Lilian,

Merci beaucoup pour ta réponse !

You were mentioning that I should find a job online. I already have customers here in Singapore, so I wouldn't come empty-handed.
About having a part-time job, I also teach French and Spanish here in Singapore. Could I get a visa being a part-time teacher and then translate on the side? Wouldn't that be moonlighting and hence, illegal?

Thanks again!
Guillaume

lilianleelala  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
a lot of people doing exactly what u'r talking abt Nov 28, 2008

guillaumimoso wrote:

Hi Lilian,

Merci beaucoup pour ta réponse !

You were mentioning that I should find a job online. I already have customers here in Singapore, so I wouldn't come empty-handed.
About having a part-time job, I also teach French and Spanish here in Singapore. Could I get a visa being a part-time teacher and then translate on the side? Wouldn't that be moonlighting and hence, illegal?

Thanks again!
Guillaume

That would be somehow, pas correct mais ça y est.

You should find someone who doing the same way as u want to be, i'm sure there are pleinty of them.

But me, I really don't know all the details

Perhaps someone else in this forum does and is willing to help.

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 14:50
Not all foreigners are treated nicely in China Nov 30, 2008

lilianleelala wrote:

In Shanghai, people loves u no matter what, as long as u'r a foreigner.

And you are not black.

Mark Vadim Bukat  Identity Verified
China
English to Russian
+ ...
Not that hard and not that easy Dec 2, 2008

Well,

first of all, China is one of few remaining countries in the world where 'political correctness' barely exists and this is half of her charm;

second, China is one of the most free countries in the world no matter what the State Secretary thinks or says about this point;

third, the synthesis of the previous two makes China a very comfortable place: although they will always stick their noses into everything you do/think/eat/shit/date/mate, they won't go farther than that as long as you don't do/think/etc. anything against the political establishment here.

In simple words - as long as you

a - have a legal reason to stay (whatever the visa you get)
b - do your own little things and don't steal jobs from the locals
c - try not to break whatever written or unwritten laws (little things don't count)
d - get no more than (as far as I remember) 50K USD a year transferred to you from outside China (Western Union does not count)

- you are on a long leash and free to do whatever.

Now, getting a visa is not as easy as it used to be (which I wholeheartedly welcome) but rumours are you still can have a business visa and extend it every now and again through visa agents in Hong Kong.
But sorry I am not a good visa consultant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a freelance translator in China (for non Chinese citizens)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs