Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

For those about to freelance, here is a new book from O'Reilly:

- The Principles of Successful Freelancing

Topics covered include:

* How to pitch clients and decide what to charge
* Maximizing efficiency through time tracking, contact management and scheduling
* Grow profits through expense and cashflow management
* Fundamentals of project management, including reviews of commonly used software programs
* Winning new clients through networking, advertising, blogging, referrals and public speaking
* The principles of great customer service, including dealing with problem clients and managing scope creep

I haven't read it. Therefore, I can't answer any questions you may have. I just wanted to share it with you.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
English to French
+ ...
Nice! Dec 9, 2008

Thanks, Eric, for letting us know. I recently criticized books for freelance translators in a thread here, saying that they don't teach you anything on marketing your services. Rather, they give common sense advice on organizing files, dealing with non-payment issues and the like, which, if someone has the slightest sense of business (and from the moment you are a freelance translator, you should have at least a minimal sense of business), is useless information.

The book you are announcing, Eric, seems upon first sight to fill that void. Plus, I love O'Reilly books. If there was a translation contest on ProZ with a bookshelf full of O'Reilly books for the prize, I just might participate.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Book on Freelancing from O'Reilly

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs