How to get my signature notarized in order to provide "certificates of accuracy"?
Thread poster: Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
Jul 3, 2003

My client requires a "certificate of accuracy" for each translation job, and I was advised in this forum to provide "A statement signed by the translator or translation company representative, with his or her signature notarized by a Notary Public..." I still have a few questions on how to do this:

1)If my signature is what needs to be notarized (not the certificate, right?) can I get a stamp or seal with my information notarized and then write the statement (or certifcate of accura
... See more
My client requires a "certificate of accuracy" for each translation job, and I was advised in this forum to provide "A statement signed by the translator or translation company representative, with his or her signature notarized by a Notary Public..." I still have a few questions on how to do this:

1)If my signature is what needs to be notarized (not the certificate, right?) can I get a stamp or seal with my information notarized and then write the statement (or certifcate of accuracy) and stamp it?

2)When I go to the notary public, should I just tell him I need my signature notarized or do I need to specify it's for translations? Are there any forms I need to fill out? What's the cost?

3)Where can I see samples of what a certificate of accuracy should say/look like?

4)What are the legal implications of doing this? Is there any liability? To what extent?

I'm new to this field, so any information you can provide me on the above will be appreciated!
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
VERY EASY Jul 3, 2003

TYPE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR TRANSLATION THE FOLLOWING:

I, x, hereby certify that the translation herewith of [y] is a true, faithful and accurate translation into English of the [z] original, which I am qualified to translate.

NAME:

DATE:

SIGNATURE:

NOTARY'S SIGNATURE:

SEAL:

That's it. Now your translation is notarized. It is certified BY YOU as to its accuracy. GET IT? The certifying i
... See more
TYPE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR TRANSLATION THE FOLLOWING:

I, x, hereby certify that the translation herewith of [y] is a true, faithful and accurate translation into English of the [z] original, which I am qualified to translate.

NAME:

DATE:

SIGNATURE:

NOTARY'S SIGNATURE:

SEAL:

That's it. Now your translation is notarized. It is certified BY YOU as to its accuracy. GET IT? The certifying is by you, all the notary does is make sure you are the one who signed the document by WITNESSING your signing and by providing his/her seal and signature. You also have to show the notary an ID and the ID DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE certifying statement.

It's that easy.

THERE IS NO STANDARD WAY IN THE US TO DO THIS. ANY GOOD MODIFICATION OF THE SENTENCE I PROVIDED WILL DO.

there are NO NOTARY OFFICES in the US, there are individuals who are notaries who notarize. I just found one at Mailboxes are us. They are in lawyers offices, drug stores, and photocopy shop. It depends. They are all over the place. It costs whatever the notary wants to charge. One dollar to five or more if they dare. What is said in other messages is fine but MY METHOD WORKS FINE. Every translation has to be notarized individually. IT IS NOT A ONE TIME THING. YOu do it each time.

Cheers

[Edited at 2003-07-03 21:04]

[Edited at 2003-07-03 21:06]
Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Banks always have notaries Jul 3, 2003

I go to the local branch were I do business. All the officers, not the tellers, are notaries and don't charge.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
What Jane says is it in a nutshell. Jul 3, 2003

Just make up the statement and then go to any notary and sign it. In fact, wherever you bank they should provide this service for free.

If you have credentials for translation you should include that in your statement. Many people do not, which is not an impediment. You merely state that you are knowledgeable in both languages and that the translation is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and ability.

And of course no notary can certify a translation, all th
... See more
Just make up the statement and then go to any notary and sign it. In fact, wherever you bank they should provide this service for free.

If you have credentials for translation you should include that in your statement. Many people do not, which is not an impediment. You merely state that you are knowledgeable in both languages and that the translation is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and ability.

And of course no notary can certify a translation, all they do is witness the signature and attest to the identity of the signer.
Collapse

Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I'm all set! Jul 5, 2003

Grreeaat! Thank you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get my signature notarized in order to provide "certificates of accuracy"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »