Mobile menu

What are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients?
Thread poster: KEEKtranslator

KEEKtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
Korean to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2009

As a translator, what are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients? Does it usually tend to be more work-quality-dispute related or money related? I'd really like to know where other translators have clashes w/clients.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
agncies-direct clients-govt bodies Jan 12, 2009

KEEKtranslator wrote:

As a translator, what are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients? Does it usually tend to be more work-quality-dispute related or money related? I'd really like to know where other translators have clashes w/clients.

I don't work for many agencies, mostly for direct clients. I rarely have clashes with either:-) Some frustrations though.

One thing about agencies that does bug me a bit is online systems for downloading and uploading work and invoicing. Not the systems in themselves - just the fact that they usually also send emails anyway, so often it seems like a duplication of everybody's effort.

The agencies I do work for are usually not based in Spain, where the pay is often poor, also dealings can be a bit casual, for want of a better word (like me going the extra mile and not being thanked, or not getting feedback). Obviously those are my own personal experiences, but I find agencies in other countries a bit more understanding about deadlines and the deadline-quality trade-off, and they are also better and faster payers.

With direct clients (mostly universities / academics), I have no doubt about what the main problem is. Many fail to understand that getting published is a collaborative process, from queries to them right down to feedback to me, negotiating final changes and getting a look at the galleys before they are sent off.

Finally, getting paid is sometimes a problem with government bodies, not the problem of the contact person but one of bureacratic accounts departments. It's a bit of a disaster when they "lose" the invoice, as sometimes happens.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish agencies are generally unsatisfactory Jan 12, 2009

I entirely agree with Lia's comments about Spanish agencies. They are generally unsatisfactory in almost every respect. However, I find that most of my direct Spanish clients are very correct in their dealings - and the single most honourable and professional agency that I deal with is also Spanish.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are some of the difficulties you have experienced when dealing with clients?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs