ITI PSG (Professional Support Group) Course
Thread poster: Blanca García-Puente

Blanca García-Puente  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2009

I'm considering completing the above course, but would like some imput from people who have done it. Could somebody offer some constructive comments about the content and value of this course?

It would be useful to know:
-what stage of your career were you at
-did it teach you things that you can find in Proz, for example?
-did it help for networking?
-can you give me a couple of examples of an assignments you had to complete?
-how much time you invested weekly and when?
-subsequently, did you manage to find your own clients?
- anything else!!

Thank you so much for your time and for helping me make up my mind.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lanna Castellano  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
the ITI Professional Support Group Feb 14, 2009

Blanca, you're a member of ITI, so you will have received the ITI Bulletin that has come out since your enquiry, in which there is an interview of one of the former PSG mentees, Philippa Hammond.

Since I have co-run the PSG for the past six years, I'm probably not the one to give a dispassionate view of the benefits, and you're right to address your questions to people who have done the course. The course is just starting next month, and it lasts about three months. Experience shows that people need about 12 hours a week for the twelve weeks the course lasts, but since it is online and not in real-time - although the deadlines are quite strict! - the study and exercises can be fitted around other commitments. It would be very hard, though, if you have a full-time job, and we do not accept people in full-time studies.

To quote from the description on the ITI website,

"you have qualifications and experience in a field other than translation on which you can draw in establishing yourself as a translator
• you have done some paid translation work, but not enough to earn a living
• you are about to launch a freelance translation career
• you have joined ITI as an associate or qualified member
but you are not sure how to go about earning a living from freelance translation work.

Its aims
The ITI Professional Support Group (PSG) is a mentoring scheme, run annually for a group of 20 to 25 members of ITI who are establishing themselves as freelance translators. It is online, so it does not matter where you live. It consists of a set of exercises in which, under the guidance of senior and experienced translators, mentees work on their CVs, business and marketing plan and equipment/technology plan and gain insight into negotiation with clients and other business skills. Feedback from the mentors is intensive and given through the online group. Ideas are debated and solutions pooled among the fellow mentees, so that they build up a lasting community of friends and colleagues. ... "

The former PSGers are now very visible and active in the translation world, as you will see from the Bulletin, the ITI language and subject networks and the ITI events: several will be speaking at the forthcoming ITI international conference on sustainability in London (

I will ask an ex-mentee with the same language combination as you to contact you or to post something here, to tell you about her experience during and since this training event.

Incidentally, ITI also runs an online mentoring group in October-December, the ITI Orientation Course. Its aim is to provide a kickstart for people who have not as yet acquired much practical experience, which includes an assessment of and feedback on their translation skills.

Blanca García-Puente  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
PSG Course Feb 14, 2009

Thank you for replying to my message. I have now applied for the course. Nonetheless, I would be interested to hear the feedback from the translator with the same language combinations as me.

K regards, Blanca.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ITI PSG (Professional Support Group) Course

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs