Mobile menu

I'm looking for a jumpstart in Tokyo - maybe a paid mentoring?
Thread poster: xxxNathanielMoo
xxxNathanielMoo  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
Japanese to English
Feb 2, 2009

Hi there.

I've been translating in house for about a year and a half now, and am starting to feel like its time to dip my toe in the freelance waters. The thing is, working in-house (in my case at least) has meant that I have no idea what freelancing looks like. I know how I translate, but I haven’t got a clue how anyone else does.

I’ve spent just enough time looking through the infinite number of forums out there to know some key things:

1) There is too much information out there to sort the wheat from the chaff.

2) Different folks are translating using completely different strokes.

3) Translators DON’T WORK FOR FREE.

So I’m offering a couple of lattes and whatever we can agree is a reasonable price for a couple hours of hands-on mentoring/ Q&A/ et cetera. (The number in my head is near 5000yen… and it’s gonna have to be a weekend or relatively late on a weeknight)

I’m envisioning a casual talk with a moderately experienced freelance J -> E translator at a café somewhere in Tokyo. If you (the moderately-experienced translator in question) use translating software, I’d like to see what it looks like in use.

Like I said, just a casual talk to give me an idea what life is like on the other side of these bars. I may be open to more than one meeting, or meetings with different people.

Contact me or reply here.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-02 12:59 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm looking for a jumpstart in Tokyo - maybe a paid mentoring?

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs