Mobile menu

Gaining certification
Thread poster: Victoria dlV

Victoria dlV  Identity Verified
Russian to English
Feb 18, 2009

Does anyone know of any Australasian certification courses for translation. My language pairs are Russian to English. I need distance learning or online courses/examinations.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Look up local professional organizations Feb 18, 2009

You are best off looking up local organizations for translators and learning about your options. There's a way to search for it through the ProZ website

You can also filter your search by location, whether the group offers credentials, etc.

First, go to the "Directories" tab. You would then select the "Translator Organizations" option. Now you can search accordingly.

Damian Harrison
Local time: 04:12
German to English
Auckland University Feb 18, 2009

This link might be helpful. If they don't offer distance learning courses, I'm sure they know who does.

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
NAATI and distance learning courses Feb 18, 2009

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) in Australia offers accreditation for translators. You can gain accreditation by passing their test or by completing an approved course. You can find all the information on their website

I have published some information about translator training on my blog. Here is an article on distance learning courses for translators: The University of Western Sydney has distance learning courses, but unfortunately they don't seem to offer Russian at the moment, but you could always check with them.

Outside Australasia, universities offering Russian to English distance learning courses are the University of Portsmouth, UK and City University, UK

For on-site course in Australia see and in New Zealand

Good luck,

Victoria dlV  Identity Verified
Russian to English
very helpful Feb 18, 2009

Grateful for feedback to all. Thanks Sara.
Thankyou Christine for your web addresses which will aid me no doubt. And Damian from NZ, you are right to enquire at Ak Uni. I studied Russian there actually and although the Russian department has been closed due to lack of numbers(!), I keep in touch with my old Russian prof. Mrs Brodsky. I will ask her.

I am very happy to to receive support. I live rurally in NZ, but it seems like I may finally be able to put my Russian to good use, that is apart from singing russki folksongs to the cows!

Nastassja K
United States
Local time: 19:12
German to English
What do they touch on Feb 19, 2009

What do these online courses touch on exactly? I would also like to start out by myself, and reading all I can.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gaining certification

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs